Back from my injury with a new song.

TheGreatBongChicken

Musician who mixes

So yeah, I got my right pointer finger caught in a wood splitter... long story short, I cracked my bone and my finger tip "exploded" because of the pressure. I was rushed to the ER and they stitched it up... it's been almost two weeks now, and it's mostly recovered(way beyond expectation too) but I still can't play bass... so I used a synth bass in this song on a Keyboard.

Anyway... yeah... there is some distortion in the mix, very slight... but it happened when I uploaded it. It wasn't there before, so I'm a bit confused by that. Just wondering what your thoughts are, I did the drums, electric and synth bass. Austin Dale(the guy who did the creepy "What's going on" song that nobody liked but everyone liked the mix) did the Vocals and piano and wrote the song. And another friend who has never recorded before and was very nervous did the background vocals.

Any thoughts on anything I posted are welcome, preferably the song and not my exploding finger... but if you really want to talk about that I guess I'm down with that. Sorry I wasn't around... I was on Codiene for the first week or so and really out of it. And after that I was trying to catch up on some stuff. Been missing you guys!

Hey James,

The waveform looks like it was limited pretty hard at spots. Maybe that is your source of distortion??? I don't know. The mix overall sounds good to me. I am not a huge fan of using that much reverb. Also, the sibilance is pretty noticeable on the vocals.

Get better so you can pick up that bass!

The distortion happened only in the MP3 that I uploaded, when it's a wave it's not there... It's probably because I mixed it down to a wave and then converted the wave to an mp3. I should have just mixed down directly to an mp3.

Thanks for the advice on the sibilance... I'm still trying to figure out what to do about that... it almost seems to be a part of his voice. Does anyone have any thoughts on the level of the background vocal? I tried to find a point where it was loud enough but not too loud... also any other thoughts are welcome.

The bass level seems inconsistent and has way too much rumble. My Yamaha monitors which are notorious for their lack of bass response were screaming with low end. The backing vocals are barely audible and need to come way up.

I found it a bit muddy in the lower mid to low region, Probably could be solved with EQ. Snare could use some more presence. Overall really not bad at all though.

Joey :):):):)

Sorry brother, I'm gonna talk about the exploding finger.

I had the same injury....FUCK was that painful. Caught my finger between two falling 2" iron pipes.

Twenty-two years later I am still reminded that my finger aint right...but thank god it wasn't my left pointer, [sarcasm]then I wouldn't be the guitar wizard I am today[/sarcasm]

I still have to play bass with a pick, the end of my finger is numb....oh well!

-Mike

Back