babies come home

dobro

I can't hear it any more. Help!

Yeah, starting to hear it again. Tweaked levels mostly. Overdid the panning suggestion.

And three. Thanks to Fritsthegirl and Mickster for nudges.

Last edited:
If you had released this, as is, in the late 60's you'd be a millionaire today...I have no doubt of it.
Sounds interesting. Keeps your attention. Good mix. The mouth solo sounds kind of underwater, which went with the lines just before about stepping out of the water and onto the shore.
Your music sounds nothing like Harry Nillson, but reminds me of him anyway. Don't know why, I'm just whacked that way, I guess.

Hmmmm..........this one got to me for some reason. I started to stop it. But....then.......it was so out there that I had to see where it went. I liked it!! Can't get away from a bad visual during the "mouth" solos. The only change I'd make is to the full panning of the two guitar rhythm parts. Too far left and right and needs a tad more in the center. The base fills to a degree......but too much missing in the center. Just my opinion. Thanks for letting me listen.

Reminds me of Peak era Residents but much better recorded.
The mouth solo makes sense in that context.

The mouthhorn sounds pretty silly in this one. Nothing wrong with the mix.

Hey, thanks for the mix comment. However, one man's silly is another man's playful. :D

If you had released this, as is, in the late 60's you'd be a millionaire today...I have no doubt of it.

Got a time machine?

The only change I'd make is to the full panning of the two guitar rhythm parts. Too far left and right and needs a tad more in the center. The base fills to a degree......but too much missing in the center.

Interesting, thanks. I can play with that a bit. Listen again to the guitar during the lip trumpet parts - your attention's distracted by the lip trumpet part, but the guitar part's doubled there and fills in the center.

I thought it sounded real good. Tone on everything is excellent and vocal is very clear.

No nits. It sounds great.

Yip, I heard it just fine. I like the sudden intro of vocals. I think this might be one of my favourites of yours to date. :) I like the mouth trumpet, but I wonder if it might sound cool with a few yeah yeahs in the background, bit like that song by the Flaming Lips, The Yeah Yeah Yeah song? But maybe not actually, it's kind of a minimal track maybe that makes it too busy. I like the sound of the rhythm guitar. As usual the vocals are clean and clear, and really well sung and good.

Tweaked the panning back and forth and gave the bass more body and came up with this - Babies Come Home At Last. Guitars in a bit and bass and djembe separated slightly.

Orchestrated Mouth Trumpets....yeah baby!

I'd say you nailed the tracking and mix...although I didn't listen to the first two. The bongos, bass, vocals, and guitars all sound really good.

All 3 mixes sound pretty much in the same ballpark to me. I guess maybe the 3rd mix sounds best so far? The bass seemed fuller on that one and the guitars maybe came down a bit.

Is there a delay on lots of tracks individually or on the whole mix? It's cool 'cause it sounds very clear and kind of dry, but there's still a sense of space like a fairly large room.

Would you be willing to add bongos to one of my tracks sometime? You really play and capture them well. I just have a crappy pair designed for kids and they always sound lame, not full and clear like yours.

Cool tune man...The mix is working for me - right guitar seems a touch low in the soft parts as compared to left. At first I thought maybe to pan the solo parts a bit but then, remembered one I did and I found centering both was a better idea and that applies here too I think.

Would you be willing to add bongos to one of my tracks sometime? You really play and capture them well. I just have a crappy pair designed for kids and they always sound lame, not full and clear like yours.

Sure, that'd be fun. I started getting better results from bongos as soon as I started to learn how to tune up the macho head so that it really pops when you hit it. I thought I needed a better instrument but the guy in the shop said nah you just need to tune them up. Not a good way to make a sale, but a very good way to get a better sound.

This was djembe on this one though - I didn't mix the low mic very high but you can hear the 'whump' if you listen for it.

Thanks for listening, HM. No nits is good news.

Cool tune man...The mix is working for me - right guitar seems a touch low in the soft parts as compared to left. At first I thought maybe to pan the solo parts a bit but then, remembered one I did and I found centering both was a better idea and that applies here too I think.

Hey, thanks for listening. What you say actually answers another question I had. :thumbs up: You were paying attention to the guitars right and left, but the panning didn't catch your attention. That's what I want - good. Mickster suggested panning them less extremely, so I brought them in a bit. When I started mixing, I was cautious about hard panning anything. Now I do, of course, but I think there are mixes - sparse ones like this one - that sound better when the stereo field's narrower.

Sure, that'd be fun. I started getting better results from bongos as soon as I started to learn how to tune up the macho head so that it really pops when you hit it.

This was djembe on this one though - I didn't mix the low mic very high but you can hear the 'whump' if you listen for it.

Ah...you could have said they were djbongos and I wouldn't have known the difference! :) You've used both at times right? This sounds awesome...maybe why it sounds so full? You got the hand percussion thing down basically. Nice.

I use bongos most often for the ukelele stuff I'm doing nowadays. But the djembe is really good when the rhythm really wants to pump.

Yeah, good percussion is huge. Last night I was at a party and they were so drunk I got them to play half a dozen of my tunes on Soundcloud. One that really got positive feedback was that tune I did with Greg and Tjarko. Real drumkit, played real good. Percussion is huge. I think people are often doing their tunes a disservice when they put canned drums on.

Sounds real good dobro. I'm glad that if you're going to use the mouth trumpet on most of your songs, you're now toying around with how to use it in different ways. The layering works well. Bass tone is good, Djembe sounds great - nice and full.

Only nit I got is that I'm hearing some static-y hiss that I'm guessing may be on one of the mouth trumpet parts. It's something left panned I think between around 1.38-1.48.

Sounds real good dobro. I'm glad that if you're going to use the mouth trumpet on most of your songs, you're now toying around with how to use it in different ways. The layering works well. Bass tone is good, Djembe sounds great - nice and full.

Only nit I got is that I'm hearing some static-y hiss that I'm guessing may be on one of the mouth trumpet parts. It's something left panned I think between around 1.38-1.48.

Hey, Rob - thanks for listening. Yeah, the different sounds on the lip trumpet are fun. The sound you're hearing is the plugin I got working on one of the parts. It produces a variable sound that comes across somewhere between a quail, a salmon and a champagne bubble popping.

Back