babies come home

Dobro, you're certifiable! :D I have no idea what to make of this at all. I think yourself and heatmiser are concocting an elaborate joke at our expense. :D

Hey, Rob - thanks for listening. Yeah, the different sounds on the lip trumpet are fun. The sound you're hearing is the plugin I got working on one of the parts. It produces a variable sound that comes across somewhere between a quail, a salmon and a champagne bubble popping.

Ah, a quail, of course! :facepalm:

I was initially going to say it sounded somewhere between a chaffinch, a salmon and a champagne bubble popping, but I was worried I might sound daft! Shoulda gone with my gut.

Somehow it appears that everyone except me is quite familiar with a mouth trumpet. I've never heard this before... but I like it. It was so unexpected that I ended up with a huge smile on my face thinking, "what the devil is this?". Google to the rescue.

Very playful and very fun. I really appreciate how assured you are in your vocal style. It is unusual to be sure, and that is a good thing. You have a really unique style and you deliver your music with such strong conviction and assuredness. Much respect.

The recording and the mix sound excellent. The sounds are all very pleasing and there is a great sense of dimension here. Many elements are jumping out at me.

Nicely done!

I'm late to this party and have no advice what-so-ever. Just here to say I really dig it! It sounds really, very, good. Your songs/mixes are constantly improving with every one you post. You should definitely do a cover of Nilsson's Coconut.

Top stuff mate. Really enjoyed it! :thumbs up:

Interesting song. I'm liking that varying instrumentation. This all sounds pretty rad. It sounds like you squished Zappa and Ween together. Cool shit. The only thing I'd kind of want to hear are other voices on "Babies Come Home".

Very interesting tune! I second the Harry Nilsson vibe. It took me a second to figure out what the hell was going on, but once it all sunk in, I enjoyed it. The djembe performance during the intro has some timing problems at a few points, but it settles in nicely after that. Besides that, the mix seems pretty well balanced to me.

My only other nitpick is the title. I think you mean to basically say "my baby has come home." If that's the case, then the title should be "Baby's Come Home" instead of "Babies Come Home."

No, it's Babies Come Home. It's a play on words, and the song operates on two levels, but first and foremost it's about and to babies. The baby in all of us. Time to come home, babies. But I like how it also works on the 'my baby's come home' level too.

Interesting that you've explained the double level of the title Dobro.
My ONLY problem with this songs was getting my head to settle on a interpretation of the song so I could enjoy it more - the hemispheres kept swapping places over the interpretations and wouldn't let me settle down - linguistic OCD or just the chalkie in me?

No, it's Babies Come Home. It's a play on words, and the song operates on two levels, but first and foremost it's about and to babies. The baby in all of us. Time to come home, babies. But I like how it also works on the 'my baby's come home' level too.

Oh ok, gotcha. I wasn't getting that from listening to it, but then again I didn't analyze every lyric either. My bad.

You could ask the same question of the person who wrote it lol.

I should be posting a new tune in here in a few days - it's a companion piece to this one called Womb. Same double meaning.

I had to Google mouth horn, because I'd never heard of it...at all....ever....I actually had some perverse thoughts about it actually....:laughings:.

Ok, ok, all shit aside, this isn't bad dude, I really don't have any nits really, other than the mouth horn sounds kinda strange to me, & dunno how it's supposed to sound so...

Maybe pan the guitars out a little more here/there (automation), & add some different effects to 'em??? Dunno man, just throwing that in the hat there, maybe if you add the fx/panning during the chorus part, it'd make it stand out a little more???Just guessing here...

Not my type of music at all, but it doesn't sound terrible to me Dobro, as far as the mix, it's pretty balanced overall, & you've done a good job on everything....

You guys have got to stop saying mouth horn. It makes it sound like a blow job. But I suppose lip trumpet is even sillier...

Back