Axe To Grind

beezelbubba

Shitty Buddhist
Here's a song I wrote 23 years ago. This is my 3rd go around recording it (my pathetic archiving habits are such that I have no remaining copies of the 1st 2 versions.) I whipped it together fairly quickly.
Basically a cynical view of politics, over a basic reggae, I IV V progression.
Enjoy.
MP3 Player SoundClick

Idealistic rhetoric philosophy and politics
Cannot serve to counteract reality and cold hard facts
Silly people run around and chew away with bites of sound
And bash our senses endlessly with tirades of stupidity
unity they seek they say division they will find
'cause everybody's got an axe to grind

Turn on your TV set you wont believe the laugh you'll get
The stupid things they say you hear it every single day
Doomed to failure from the start dutiful you play your part
With unsuspecting willingness and innocence
Is this a product of their idiotic minds
Or could it be they've got an axe to grind

Strategies of lies and slander games of words and propaganda
Greed and power motivating all integrity foresaken
On and on the farce procedes more and more the apathy
grows and grows into the very core of me
Nihilist or realist I cannot draw the line
Because you see I've got an axe to grind

I like a little Reggae when the mood is right. Great bass tone--a Jazz, I hope! You might want to zoom in on the bass track and do a few manual edits. You come in ahead of the beat quite a few times, especially on those runs. It unsettles your groove. My only other criticism would be that the background vocals or doubles or getting in the way of the lead vocal. Maybe that was intentional.

Fun tune, great lead guitar.
Thankee! :)

I like a little Reggae when the mood is right. Great bass tone--a Jazz, I hope! You might want to zoom in on the bass track and do a few manual edits. You come in ahead of the beat quite a few times, especially on those runs. It unsettles your groove.
LOL. I did. I obviously didn't do it well enough.I must confess, I get bored by the end of the process and put up with a certain amount of slop.
Robus;4391123 My only other criticism would be that the background vocals or doubles or getting in the way of the lead vocal. Maybe that was intentional.[/QUOTE said:
The intention was for it to sound like one,big, vocally...thing..but any inaccuracies mess it up.I'll revisit at some point.
Thanks for listening, gangstas!

I enjoyed it.
I don't like the bass & lower end of the drums combining mushing together.
Is there a stereo effect on the bass? it seems to spread across the image a bit.
I thin the song & cynicism are worth tweaking a little.
The vocals have a cool combo of ennui and fatalism with the cynical sneer.
I'm not worried about the bass coming in ahead of the beat - almost all cod reggae falls into that trap.
make a definitive mix.

Beeze, dude! Nice to hear something from your angrier younger days.

Hey, this is cool. Nice use of reverb and delay. It combines for a big convincing sound.

I am wondering if the keys could use some more EQ. Everything else seems to have the shimmer and the keys are kinda thick and dark.

I dont like the guitars and drums on this. They sound fine, but too compressed for my taste. I dont like the reverb...

The delay on the vocals is a good ideia, but maybe you've used it too much? IDK, I'm just giving me view on it, I hope you dont take offense on this.

Beeze, dude! Nice to hear something from your angrier younger days.

Hey, this is cool. Nice use of reverb and delay. It combines for a big convincing sound.

I am wondering if the keys could use some more EQ. Everything else seems to have the shimmer and the keys are kinda thick and dark.
Thanks dude.Funny how romanticized our younger anger can be. Anger when we're older is just bitter and pathetic. :D Still, it fits nicely with the current election theme.
The keys are vsti(http://www.kvraudio.com/product/mrray73_by_gsi/details) I decided after the fact that I wanted wah on them (Rick Wright's performance on "Money" was the model I used.) I tried finding a plug that would work convincingly, but couldn't, so I had to run a line out and put it through a crybaby.The original and the wah are mixed together. I'll keep the EQ in mind when I eventually revisit.
CMolena said:
I dont like the guitars and drums on this. They sound fine, but too compressed for my taste. I dont like the reverb...

The delay on the vocals is a good ideia, but maybe you've used it too much? IDK, I'm just giving me view on it, I hope you dont take offense on this.
No offense taken. I admire a soul who recognizes the fraud that I am! :D

Hi bubba I'd like to listen but sound click says I'm missing a plugin? Might be because it wants flash maybe. . .

I think it's a way cool tune. Good Reggie groove and great lyrics. I love how you used echo effect on the vocal.
good job and good song!

Back