Atmospheric black metal riff

ericlingus

Here's another riff I recorded. I used a total of 4 guitar tracks and two synth tracks. I used a vamp2 direct in for guitars and my triton LE for synth sounds. My audio interface is firebox and I recorded in Cubase LE. What do you think of my sound(tone wise and quality etc,)? What should I change? What do you think of the riff? I'll actually post full songs once I record them. Shouldn't be much longer. It's the drum programming really that's a bitch for me. This riff took some practice because I suck at tremolo picking. Finally i'm getting the hang of it. This is pretty much my limit now. 32nd notes in 120bpm. With one string I can do it. But I had to tremolo pick two strings at once. That was the hard part for me.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=2823

Something

Hi,

I'm really losing the guitar tone once the synths come in. Maybe back down on the synths a little and give both synth and guitar some more mid range. Also, I would cut back on the distortion on the guitar a little. Even from the beginning there's so much dist. there I really don't get much guitar tone, so when the synths come in it makes it even worse. Just my 2 cents!

-JV

silentman said:
Hi,
give both synth and guitar some more mid range. Also, I would cut back on the distortion on the guitar a little. Even from the beginning there's so much dist. there I really don't get much guitar tone

Well it is black metal, and if he is trying to achieve that black metal tone more mid range might not exactly do it. The ultra scooped sound and excessive noise and distortion kinda come with the old black metal thing, which is what I'm guessing he is trying to replicate.

Ben

That's cool if that's the sound he was going for, but most of the metal/hard rock bands that I've recorded we always get better results with less distortion during recording. Maybe use a "cleaner" track and delay it slightly from the distorted track. I don't want to be guilty of sacrificing a persons style, so take these comments with a grain of salt.

-JV

thanks. Yeah I was thinking about adding more mids to the guitars so they come through more when the synth comes in. But then I realized I like that sound. I want the synth to dominate and just have everything blend together really. The distortion I may come down on a little bit. I'm just gonna constantly change the tones and see what I like. I'm not really trying to go for a particular sound on an album or anything. Just what I think sounds good. Thanks again for the replies. I'll record it again with a different sound next time. I'm gonna record the full song pretty soon. I have it pretty much written. Just need to record it.

silentman said:
That's cool if that's the sound he was going for, but most of the metal/hard rock bands that I've recorded we always get better results with less distortion during recording. Maybe use a "cleaner" track and delay it slightly from the distorted track. I don't want to be guilty of sacrificing a persons style, so take these comments with a grain of salt.

When you say to "delay the cleaner track slightly", what exactly do you mean? Add delay to the second track or move the second guitar track just a bit from the first guitar track?

Thank you...

Yea, the latter of what you said Bloodsoaked. Just move the second "cleaner" track slightly behind the dirty track. Not to much though, or you can really dirty things up from a note attack standpoint. It will fatten up the tone a bit, if that is what you want.

-JV

I'm imagining some drums coming in and how the rest of the song would go. I got alot of ideas for only 48 seconds of riff. I guess that means ya got a good one going. I'b be interested to hear this when youre done. So many places it could go.
As far as the tone and mix,..i'm feelin' it. I think it sounds good as long as whatever else you put in fills up what this is lacking. Could be really good.

Have fun with it!

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

thanks man I appreciate it. I think my idea of what comes next is much different. It would be interesting to hear the difference. I'll have it recorded some time in the near future probably.

Back