Asking for constructive criticism! (obviously)

Zeppelin456

Banana Co
Okay so I am a high school senior, and I've been very much into recording for a few years now, I feel like this song is the best thing I have accomplished as of yet...I play everything on it and I'm pretty proud but I want to know what sounds wrong to more experienced ears.

As far as equipment goes, I used an SM57, 2 Oktava MC-012s, 2 ECM 8000s, and a couple of Audix dynamics into a MOTU 896, which goes into Cool Edit Pro. There are obviously no vocals but I'm not really looking for SONG criticism as much as technical criticism. So that's my story, here's my song:

Hope you enjoy it and I'd love some comments.

Drums sound recorded well,..however they seem a little dry. Try some verb on 'em. For this type of tune,..maybe a short room reverb(my opinion). Also,..the cymbals are getting lost. They actually sound electronic. Adjust your mics so the cymbals have more prominence. Which mics did you use for your OV's. maybe try switching them out. Maybe its just that you didnt mix your overheads well. I'm not really getting a good stereo feel on the kit.

The bass has some distinction but not enough. A little too much mud clouding it up.

The rest sounded pretty good to me. Nice and clean.
I wont give any SONG analysis,...you wouldnt like what i had to say anyway. ha ha.

Pretty good sounding recording overall. Needs some work though.
Keep it up.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

oh man now you've peaked my interest, I guess I want to know what you wanted to say about the song is...but I do feel like I understand alot about what is wrong with the arrangement. I guess when I was doing the recording, I was thinking more about the recording than the song, as of yet, I have trouble concentrating enough on both aspects, especially since I'm doing all of the playing. But yeah if you've got some complaints about the song, I'd love to hear them...

I have alot of tunes that came out like this as well. Too busy concentrating on the sound quality rather than the writing. Then I realized,..who gives a crap if it sounds good if the writing sucks! So,..to cure this problem,..I bought a 4 track cheap mic and cheap guitar and drum sequencer and started concentrating on writing,..then when i have the song the way i want it for sure,..then I take it to the studio and start laying it down.

Take 'er easy,..

Calwood

song quality versus mix

Hi-

I'm not a sound engineer mixing expert....I am listening to your song on cheap labtec computer speakers. My opinion is that you are on the right track as far as the mix/arrangement/tech aspects of the song. The problem is the song itself and the performance...specifically the guitar and drums and chord structure. The droning, repetitive guitar and the feel of the drums...combined with the 3 chord structure...gets boring fast unless you are ditsracted. I kind of like how you pick it up for a brief moment with the distorted guitar...then it is back to blandsville...albeit with a wah sound.

Honestly it is ok background music...but when I pay attention to the song it loses me pretty quick...IMHO. Keep it up man..you have a lot of potential....focus on your music......screw the sound stuff. By the time you get really good at songwriting arranging and performing, the technology for home recording will be even MORE affordable. Focus on the musical aspect. Of course, if your goal is to be a great engineer, focus on that goal.

From my compter point of view, you have more potential as a sound engineer than a musician.....not meant as any disrespect. I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the comments...the thing is, I feel like the recording aspect of these things comes much more naturally than the songwriting part. So the way I record is that these half-finished type of songs are just vehicles for me to practice the production aspect of things. I DO understand that in recording, the song and the engineering/production are inextricably linked but in my case, I find it hard to concentrate on both and as such, I'm really doing my best to learn the recording ropes. I think though that per Calwood's advice, I'm going to start working more on the song, maybe a four-track would be good...

Also, as far as the musicianship, it's hard to layer instruments and have them groove together...obviously it'll never sound like a good band playing in a room, but to me, when I play everything, the songs sound stilted because I have nobody to bounce ideas off of. Maybe I should start writing songs with other people too.

Still, I'm only 17, I think I have time to improve.

But thanks for all the comments!

Don't worry, there are lots of one man shows out there recording.

That drum track sounds like some of the new Lenny Kravitz songs do. It is hard to critique background music. For me, it's all about the hook. I'd like to hear a full version of a song though. Definately good for 17 I think. Maybe you need to team up with a vocal and lyrics guy. The best sounds are teams like that, for me anyways.

H2H

thanks, yeah I need a vocals and lyrics person, I can sing alright but I have real trouble writing melodies and lyrics...so that's that

Mixing-wise, sounds good to me. I've only checked it out on small monitors at low volume though, so don't take my word for it completely.

I have to say something about the song itself though. I always find that melodies, but more even, lyrics are by far the most confronting part of the songs I write. I almost always think that the best lyrics I write are potentially almost decent, on a good day, when I'm in the mood, and nobody else is listening. Then, a while ago, I just tracked some lyrics and though What the hell, I just wanna know what other people think of it. So I let some other people listen to it, feeling absolutely horrible the second the lyrics started, all the way through the end. Then at the end, people actually liked it, I couldn't belief it. So I guess you just have to step back, be as constructive as you can be about the self-criticism, and when all that doesn't work, just track something, and stick with it.

One more tip: tention build-up takes just a little bit to long for my taste. Chop a minute off somewhere between the first second and the third minute and your there, tention-wise.

Could be a good song. Only reason it is boring is because of the lack of vocals. Vocal melodies are usually the main focal point to poular music! Reminds me of The red hot chili peppers a bit apart from the keyboard.
Too the point of the recording, i would say it is pretty good. Not amazing, but good all the same.
There is something about the guitar sound im not too sure about, especially when it kiks in heavy. I think it could just be the amp you are using, or bad mic placement or too much eq. Drums are good but maybe not loud enough in my opinion. Good drum levels in reletivaty to each other though.
Thumbs up from me.

Back