Are the Artifacts noticible in this track?

Maybe less extreme eq boosting of 8K and up on everything? Just a thought...

Seriously though, I am by no means a guy that works with this genre, but even the low end is lacking to me. What is your mixing environment? Headphones? Monitors? Room treatments?

It sounds like you maxed out all of the tools you can use in OZONE.

Maybe less extreme eq boosting of 8K and up on everything? Just a thought...

Seriously though, I am by no means a guy that works with this genre, but even the low end is lacking to me. What is your mixing environment? Headphones? Monitors? Room treatments?

It sounds like you maxed out all of the tools you can use in OZONE.

I appreciate the criticism. You're 100% right about the low end and there being a lot of high end information.

My mixing environment is just my earbuds so I'm guessing that plays a big role in why my mix isn't good.

What do you suggest I work on when it comes to mixing/mastering? Do you have any advice on bussing tracks (what instruments do you typically put into a bus and how do you tame the peaks of those sounds)

Thanks again for the help

Your mix sounds fine on my laptop speakers (which I'm listening on now) But, if I was using my headphones I could hear more details!

A bit sizzly - and I'd prefer a bit more down the bottom - but the sizzle tired me out because it's very compressed so it was pretty continuous. However, as I don't pretend to be expert on this genre, it does sound like others I've heard - that kind of full busy mix.

Ok, so back to the last point of my original statement...

Are you using OZONE or any widening or enhancing tools on this mix? I ask because overuse of such things can cause this quickly. That is what it sounded like to me. I could be wrong.

It sounds to me like you are over using some tools that are meant to be used sparingly.

Not sure how to give advice without knowing your chain of what you consider mixing or mastering. My vague answer would be to keep it simple.

BTW, the tune is cool. I don't think I mentioned that.

There is like nothing in the 200 to 600hz range. It needs a bass guitar or similar driving the groove. Maybe that is what is making it seem empty and thin? Actually, now that I listen again, that is totally what it needs...

As well as a punchy low end kick...

Which artifacts do you mean? Obviously, there is a lot of vocal glitching going on, but that's by design, right? You could maybe tame some sibilants on the vocal, but I assume you want to keep the choppiness.

I'd recommend getting a monitoring system that lets you hear the low end better. You mix is missing low end, and that going to be very hard to correct on ear buds.

Which artifacts do you mean? Obviously, there is a lot of vocal glitching going on, but that's by design, right? You could maybe tame some sibilants on the vocal, but I assume you want to keep the choppiness.

I'd recommend getting a monitoring system that lets you hear the low end better. You mix is missing low end, and that going to be very hard to correct on ear buds.

Yes the vocal choppiness is by design but the artifacts that I'm talking about is the ones you'd typically hear in the high end that makes the track sound harsh and crushed (I think that comes from the compression that SoundCloud does however I need to find a way to where the track doesn't sound so messed up from the compression (which has a lot to do with my mix I'd bet))

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into some monitoring systems! Do you, by chance, have any particular suggestions?

---------- Update ----------

Ok, so back to the last point of my original statement...

Are you using OZONE or any widening or enhancing tools on this mix? I ask because overuse of such things can cause this quickly. That is what it sounded like to me. I could be wrong.

It sounds to me like you are over using some tools that are meant to be used sparingly.

Not sure how to give advice without knowing your chain of what you consider mixing or mastering. My vague answer would be to keep it simple.

BTW, the tune is cool. I don't think I mentioned that.

There is like nothing in the 200 to 600hz range. It needs a bass guitar or similar driving the groove. Maybe that is what is making it seem empty and thin? Actually, now that I listen again, that is totally what it needs...

As well as a punchy low end kick...

I appreciate it! And the only instance of OZONE I have up is just set to limit the true peak to 0dB not for anything else. I don't have on any imaging plugins and the only real big imaging is coming from the main synth that plays and I have it detuned. As far as overusing I think you're 100% right in that I boosted a little too much of my tracks in the 5-8k area (crashes, vocals, percs) and that may've accumulated and played a role in making the track sound thin.

As far as mixing I didn't do much of compressing (only on the main synth) nor did I use any mix busses, I predominantly just EQ'ed most of the tracks that I felt needed it(in which I probably erred when I gave some high-end boost to multiple tracks which may've accumulated). And for mastering I simply added a limiter (ozone).

I definitely see what your saying about the low end; I def gotta fix that, thanks again for the feedback!

Do you typically bus your tracks (like drums, synths/instruments, etc.,) and then from there mix the tracks that are bussed? Is bussing the tracks together a necessity when mixing?

You might find yourself chasing your own tail in fixing your mixes...until you get a better monitoring system. Most if not all of us will recommend that you get yourself some decent nearfield monitor speakers as a start but we don't know anything about your budget...system goals...room....etc...etc. Until then....earbuds are likely going to cause you a lot of wasted mixing time.....so...at the very least....think about getting some acceptable mixing headphones.

Yes the vocal choppiness is by design but the artifacts that I'm talking about is the ones you'd typically hear in the high end that makes the track sound harsh and crushed (I think that comes from the compression that SoundCloud does however I need to find a way to where the track doesn't sound so messed up from the compression (which has a lot to do with my mix I'd bet))

I didn't notice any compression artifacts. Soundcloud seems to perform ok if you start with a wav.

I'll definitely look into some monitoring systems! Do you, by chance, have any particular suggestions?

You might find yourself chasing your own tail in fixing your mixes...until you get a better monitoring system. Most if not all of us will recommend that you get yourself some decent nearfield monitor speakers as a start but we don't know anything about your budget...system goals...room....etc...etc. Until then....earbuds are likely going to cause you a lot of wasted mixing time.....so...at the very least....think about getting some acceptable mixing headphones.

That ^
Your best option is a treated room and decent studio speakers.
Your cheapest acceptable option is good over-ear headphones.

I didn't notice any compression artifacts. Soundcloud seems to perform ok if you start with a wav.

That ^
Your best option is a treated room and decent studio speakers.
Your cheapest acceptable option is good over-ear headphones.

I actually just ordered some beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's so I'm hoping that'll get up to speed in the mixing department ha! Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice and help!

I actually just ordered some beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's so I'm hoping that'll get up to speed in the mixing department ha! Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice and help!

Those are great! I have two of those lasting more than 25 years. Once you get to know them, your mixes will become better.

Back