Arrangement and mix help

grn

This is not a conventional song, nor is it meant to be. The intro is too long and the structure is probably terrible, especially since the ending has nothing to do with anything. That's okay though because it's just supposed to make you feel how it makes you feel. I know the bass part doesn't make any sense either. I say all this because I posted an earlier version of this and got so much criticism that I started over with it, but kept the mood the same.

Let me know if you hear anything weird in the balance of the mix - did I take too much low end out of the cello?

The main thing I'm wondering is should I add some more conventional percussion to this? I don't know why I keep coming back to the idea of jazz drums.

View attachment 12-23-2020 I want you_mixdown.mp3

Just stumbled onto this one while trying to find "When I Grow Old" again. :)

I don't know why no one commented on this one before. It's a perfectly beautiful love song with great performances and lovely production. I absolutely love the ending --- with the pedal tone thing happening. It's great. Mix sounded great to me.

I could certainly hear some jazzier drums on this. I think it would sound great.

Thanks for sharing this one!

I hear to much bass from the begining on. And I think it's your acoustic guitar. Nice song, I like it. I like the hammond type organ and cello too. Maybe those could be a smidge more present maybe enough by taking the acoustic guitar a bit down in volume. Nice end. Only when the song was over and I re-read all the questions you had that I thought...Oh yeah percussion. But, I did not miss any percussion, so to me not needed perce. On the other hand, stop the shaker before your endsolo.

Last edited:
i hope you can read this. because, wow this is great. i like it a lot. reminds a bit of nick drake, smashing pumpkins and a bit of beck (sea change) too!

Sounds nice to me. I enjoy this acoustic style. Maybe a little more girth to the organ part. The guitar solo sounds a tick heavy in the low mids. The vocal maybe can come down a tad or have a little more reverb of some kind.

But it's a lovely song. I'd be proud of it.

It's been awhile since I logged in due to a move so it was nice to see these responses. Thanks for the comments!

This is not a conventional song, nor is it meant to be. The intro is too long and the structure is probably terrible, especially since the ending has nothing to do with anything. That's okay though because it's just supposed to make you feel how it makes you feel. I know the bass part doesn't make any sense either. I say all this because I posted an earlier version of this and got so much criticism that I started over with it, but kept the mood the same.

Let me know if you hear anything weird in the balance of the mix - did I take too much low end out of the cello?

The main thing I'm wondering is should I add some more conventional percussion to this? I don't know why I keep coming back to the idea of jazz drums.

View attachment 107642

Well the first thing is to bring the vocals in earlier. The organ swell is cool - perhaps make it more etherial - the lead guitar part needs a little more clarity - it's cool though - the percussion part needs to be considerably louder - I wouldn't bring drums into it - it has a intimate confessional feel and drums would wreck that - if you were to bring more percussion into it -what would that be?

Back