April Song (second attempt) :D

killer!

I'll give the critical listen later.. this is a great piece of music, and the recording kicks ass!

this is very nice. so good that it makes me want to try and do this kind of stuff. I really like it VERY much. I feel that it IS mellow, but yet, it wants to just KICK BUTT at anytime, and leaves you just sitting, grinding your teeth. The guitar sound is one of the nicer clean sounds I have heard around here too. You really put some effort and right some very musical stuff. No two verse quickies which I seemed doomed to do for the rest of my life. There are many little items mixwise...like the panning, delays, nice organ sounds, and powerful gtr sounds, that don't just overwhelm the rest of the song and the other instruments. Great job.

Very nice instrumental. I liked this alot. Well worth the download, even at 56K. The mix sounded great thru my monitors. Great guitar tones and playing. Very progressive, good work. Listening to this stuff will make me get off my lazy ass.
Myx

the 2nd movement, the acoustic bridge and interlude for 3rd movement, to the resolve...very exciting and controlled, lotsa much cool...

Ya' know......................I don't hear a ton of tunes from you but everything I have heard was first-rate. This is a very pro-sounding recording and the playing is too.
I don't really have any mix comments 'cause it sounds so good.
Nice, nice job.

Awww... thank you guys, you're too kind. This is my own favourite at the moment (well, the new one's usually the favourite :D ). I'm glad you liked it too. I had some mellow chord-sections lying around and I decided to create a song from them, rather than doing the old "heavy-mellow-heavy" song again. I guess this has a bit of that element too, but it's mainly supposed to be mellow mixed with something slightly weird (at least that fast paced part). I was trying to get some spring-feel for the song. Like snow melting (is that the right word?).. kind of a transformation.

Thanks guys :D

I really can't find a thing to complain about with this mix.. I thought some of the later solos around 7:40 were a bit loud, but it was only certain notes that jumped out.. was that a comb filter delay type thing?

O.K. maybe it seemed like the snare got a bit lost sometimes, but I always mix the drums too loud..

anyway, great stuff Crankij!

B.SABBATH said:
I really can't find a thing to complain about with this mix.. I thought some of the later solos around 7:40 were a bit loud, but it was only certain notes that jumped out.. was that a comb filter delay type thing?

O.K. maybe it seemed like the snare got a bit lost sometimes, but I always mix the drums too loud..

anyway, great stuff Crankij!

You may be right about the too loud solos. I tend to mix them too loud sometimes to get them more upfront. I guess I should spend more time with EQ :D

Oh, now I know what you mean. Those backward-echo clean guitar ringing things at about 7:37 onwards. Especially at 8:01 & 8:04... Some of them sounded too loud. I noticed it myself, but I was too lazy to do anything about it :D

Very cool, cranky. I always dig your stuff and this is no execption.

That organ with the wah effect was trippy. Didn't know what it was at first!

Performance and mix are top-shelf all the way. Nice chord voicings, soloing and arrangement. You have a good grasp on tension and release.:)

I'll probably be hearing this in my head while riding today.;)

Hey Crankster.........

Very nice man. This is screaming for vocs in a Big way. I like the organ in this. Really fits in there nicely. Great guitar tones throughout this badboy. ......really beautiful man. The phrasing of that wah/phase thingy at around 2:30 'ish is cool w/ the tune. VERY tasteful soloing man.......

enjoyed this a heap..........gw/5

Very smooth guitar playing. Great tune also. I like that the bass is "bassy" but still sits in the mix well. My biggest complaint would have to be the drums. It's be great with the real thing! Or wait...is it the real thing? If not, what module are you using?

Nice job! Nice break down at around 4:00. the sounds compliment each other very well and it transitions back in very well.

RF

rushfan33 said:
Very smooth guitar playing. Great tune also. I like that the bass is "bassy" but still sits in the mix well. My biggest complaint would have to be the drums. It's be great with the real thing! Or wait...is it the real thing? If not, what module are you using?

Nice job! Nice break down at around 4:00. the sounds compliment each other very well and it transitions back in very well.

RF

Yeah, the drums are not real :D Some drum sounds I've gathered around the internet over the years. I'm not sure what and where these particular came from. I don't remember. I've tried lots and lots of sounds, and my tastes in sounds also change many times a year :D

Wow... great section at around 6:00. I think it's in 5/8!? Very nice.

Yeah it is. Of course you spotted it, being a rush fan and all :D (I myself have never heard Rush... It's a shame really, since I dig prog. I might have to try it out to hear what it's like)

Yeah! I agree with all the praise above.
MUSiCIAN/ Composer Extraordinaire:D

thanks for the lesson
Bill

I already know it's going to be above average home recording so I'll just throw out random thoughts...

I think the snare could come up a little. It sounds really good. Some of the guitars have a crisp Queensryche tone to them. I like them.

The way you move from section to section- the lines seem almost too clearly defined...too pieced together. Like you recorded a 2 minute section one day, and added another section a couple days later. I'd like to hear just a little more weaving and interconnectedness in a 9 minute instrumental. That's nitpicking, because the parts are excellent and most of them flow together pretty well IMO.

The volume swells at 8:00 get really loud- brain darts.

Oooo VERY cool ending- great chord!

One hell of an endeavor Cranky, your ambition is clear!

SLuiCe said:
I already know it's going to be above average home recording so I'll just throw out random thoughts...

I think the snare could come up a little. It sounds really good. Some of the guitars have a crisp Queensryche tone to them. I like them.

The way you move from section to section- the lines seem almost too clearly defined...too pieced together. Like you recorded a 2 minute section one day, and added another section a couple days later. I'd like to hear just a little more weaving and interconnectedness in a 9 minute instrumental. That's nitpicking, because the parts are excellent and most of them flow together pretty well IMO.

The volume swells at 8:00 get really loud- brain darts.

Oooo VERY cool ending- great chord!

One hell of an endeavor Cranky, your ambition is clear!

I've noticed that thing in my compositions that the parts don't always "weave" together like you said. Sometimes they're too separate or isolated. Maybe it's because of how I write. I tend to build the song from different riffs. I think I should further modify the riffs and changes to a more common theme to make a song seem more connected to itself. Thanks for your thoughts :D

Back