Anyone up for a sad one?

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
"A Memory"

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=09XWJCR3FWDI01L5DKGEDHLO13

Yeah this is definitely the most emotion driven piece I've ever done. The first half of the song is happy in its own way representing how a person can be real happy with something in life, then out of nowhere they lose it and the only thing they have left is a memory that haunts them... as the song gets darker and darker in the second half. Thanks in advance for anyone who listens to the whole thing, I'm curious since noone has ever heard it.

There is a tad bit of satriani in there too if you recognize a riff early on...

Dave

This sounds pretty good. I'd say it's more reflective and drowsy than it is sad. There's more of a lethargic feel. Especially in the drums.
It sounds kind of like instrumental shoegazer. It's like latter day Slowdive without the vocals. Which is actually a good thing, since Slowdive never did have the best lyrics around :D

There's some parts that sound a bit off, especially at about the 3:00 mark. I think you put some acoustics in the mix and they sound off tempo for some reason.

Overall, I really liked the song.

And I don't listen to Satriani at all, so I don't know what riff you refer to.
All I know is that, based on what I've heard from him, your music sounds much more enjoyable and much more emotion-driven than Joe's.

Hey thanks for listening!

Yeah I agree that it's somewhat off here and there. I recorded it a while ago all in one night in straight takes when I was just in the perfect mood for the song. There was just so much emotion going I wanted to keep the original performance. Plus by the time I came back to work on it I had different strings/different sound on the guitar so I didn't want to mess with it too much. I might still try to get that sound again and fix up any mistakes ;)

I'll have to check out Slowdive, never heard it before

hehe, I meationed Satriani because I envisioned seeing "you stole that riff!" on here! :D

Snake, this is a killer tune. Has a very meloncholy vibe to it. Not so much sad, as just spacey. More like a person lost in thought. It also is somewhat 70's sounding. Just has that Jam feel to it. Way cool. And I do listen to Satriani, and didn't hear anything that sounded ripped. :D
Oh, and so you know, I did listen all the way through...

madmush: Thanks dude! Always thought about how cool it'd be to do a film soundtrack :D

Dogman: Thanks, love 70s stuff. It was a really spacey & trippy experience recording this at night really loud with all the reverb in the room & and the only light being my friends multicolored disko ball spinning. :rolleyes:

I think I will go back and tighten up those looser parts sometime soon... I'll have to add my other friends fog machine to the room for that :D :D

Sounds very "beachy" to me.
Very nice and relaxing.
This is just a though but I would have dampend the snare a bit more, I think its a bit loose.

I really love the rythm guitar sound.

all in alll this is a very nice track. :)

cheers to you snakedog :cool:

Thanks for listening. It's funny, I try all different themes/moods for my music, but usually always get the "beachy" comment. That's cool though, that just must be the Snakedog style :D

I'll take a look at the snare. I never really messed with it after recording so I'll see what I can do.

There's a lot going on with that rhythm guitar, a lot of reverb, echoes, a bit of flange creating a bunch of background noise in the room that I definitely thought added to the feel of the song.

Nakatira said:
Sounds very "beachy" to me.
Very nice and relaxing.
This is just a though but I would have dampend the snare a bit more, I think its a bit loose.

I really love the rythm guitar sound.

all in alll this is a very nice track. :)

cheers to you snakedog :cool:

Inverness, have you listened to Mojave 3 or Neil Halstead's solo album, Sleeping on Roads?

As for the song, I like it, I think if you spent some time perfecting the guitar playing it be awesome. Sometimes the guitars clash because their are so many effects. I think if you layered some distorted rhythm guitars towards the end, My Bloody Valentine style, it would sound killer. Very Pink Floydish...too many guitar solo to be shoegazer :p .

Back