Anyone Mind "SHARING" Their Thoughts On This Tune?

Robertt8

**Before I start with this, I've got to preface this with saying...the strange beginning to the song is supposed to be like that.**

Okay, here's song 3 of 4 for our gigging demo (so you guys will get a breather soon from my recent frequent posts). This song had the least work for the guy in our band to do as all but the drummer were on this tune for the original take. Since we added the drummer, I think it sounds quite a bit different because he's drumming with a completely different beat than what I had originally. Personally, I like this one better.

Please let me know what you think about the mix, levels, and mostly the drum sounds. I think i've got the snare hits a bit louder on this one, so let me know what you think.

URL: http://www.bagoftoysmusic.com/music.html
SONG: 05. Share.mp3 (new/reworked)

(by the way, the original can still be heard at
)

If anyone cares, here's the gear I used...
=================================
Mics: Studio Projects C1 and B1...Audio Technica Pro25 (only on bass drum)
Pre-Amp: M-Audio Audio Buddy
Outboard Compressor: Behringer Ultra Dyne Pro
Recorder: Roland VS-880EX
Guitars: Big Baby Taylor (main rhythm), Larrivee LV-03E (leads)
Bass: Modulous
Bass DI: Behrninger Bass V-Amp
Drums: Whatever that his set is...just bass, snare, high-hat, 1 tom, 1 cymbal

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Robert Tait

Sounds pretty good to me. The end is a bit abrubt, and the overall sound is slightly brittle, or toppy, or something, particularly on the hi-hat, but I think it's pretty good overall. Better than anything I've done :)

I like the song too.

tv

It's an interesting mix. Over all I like it. I would have gone a different route on the vocal effects.. Sort of has that metalic sound to it. not sure if you have a fast slap on it or what. It does give it a certain sound though that seems to be popular in some types of music.

Good stuff.

TVANVEEN: Hey thanks! my drum mic'ing technique could use some serious help, so I can probably attribute the brittle sound to picking up too much cymbal and not enough drum...but thanks

FREUDIAN_SLIP: The vocal effects were actually added back in the original mix, so for simplicity sake, I just took my last sub mix and added the drums (it doesn't usually work out that easily, but it will suck if i've got to redo that far back). I uses slap back quite a bit on vox, but i can't remember if i did this time or not....I usually try it, and if it sound okay, than I use that instead of clouding up everything with a bunch of reverb...thanks for listening.

tvanveen said:
So the vox have short delay instead of reverb?

Listening now to try and figure it out...I think what I did (besides the doubled up voice in a couple spots) is the slap back...with just one delay timed off maybe 40 ms or so to one side or the other...just to thicken it up. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. It's not really enough to sound like an echo...just enough to (hopefully) thicken it up.

Like I said, I usually try this because when I start adding reverb on everything, it gets kind of muddy...at least to my ears.

Did that help?

TVANVEEN: Cool! yeah, if you've got the ways and means, it's definitely worth toying with to see if that thickens up the sounds without having to reverb everything...works on all sorts of stuff by the way, not just vox.

SCRUBS: Excellent! thanks for listening!

Back