Anyone else.....

Hey man...a couple of disclaimers from me: first, this isn't really my genre, so take it for what it's worth. Second, I have absolutely no hearing in my right ear...zero...some kind of sinus weirdness.

Man, I really shouldn't even try this with no ears, but to me, it sounds like the music bed is really heavy in the low end...which is making it muffled. The only mids I'm getting are from the vocal, which (I think) has way to many mids in it. On the vocal, the level seems to be jumping around a lot...so you might think about compressing it some more. I like the lead(s)...no complaints from me there at all. The effect you're using on the vocal at some points is kinda' grating on me, b/c it sounds like it's distorting...I know it's an effect, but still...and there are places where I think the vocal *IS* distorting...like @:39 "Too much _______, and not enough good? "...whatever that word is where I put the blank sounds distorted to me. I think some verb on the vocal might make it sit a little better too.

The drums don't bug me, but they rarely do, LOL.

Dude, I really REALLY think you should take this with a grain of salt, because EVERYTHING sounds muffled to me right now. If this sounds pretty negative, it's not meant to be...I just don't feel comfortable commenting on whether or not I like an overall song that's so far afield from what I do. This could be the greatest Nu Metal song ever recorded, and I wouldn't have a clue...(is it "nu metal?"...what IS "nu metal," LOL)

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, the vocals *are* distorted in certain parts of the song. I ran them through the Amp Sim in Sonar to try to fry them up a bit. As this is a super-rough demo mix, I basically set the levels and let 'er fly when I exported to audio in Sonar so I could get peoples opinions to be able to use this version as a reference point for future mixes/versions.

(Note: The vocal line you pointed out goes like this... "Too much has been said, but not enough done.")

I really appreciate the feedback, and I'm on my way to find some of your material to rip apart.., DOH! ...I mean "critique."

(just kidding...)

:)

-Mr. Moon

LOL...by all means. You'll laugh when/if you hear it...here's what I picture the little thought bubble above your head saying:

"Why the fuck is this guy thinking he can offer opinions on REAL music?"

I've got one on the front page right now...and I'm a sucker for new opinions, so flame away. :D :D

Hello Mr Moon,

On the mix I got most of this in my left ear. Now that could mean I'm going deaf in my right one LOL. No at 2.25 in came some guitar in the right ear. Strange that for a few seconds the main beat guitar panned a little over to the right as well. There must be a beautiful women over on the left 'cus the vocalist is over there as well. The whole thing needs shifting a few steps to the right until you get the vocalist in centre stage.
Despite the mix my friend I enjoyed it nothing quit like a good head bang for clearing the mind.

Gerry

DOH!!

I guess I'll have to move the naked chick photos from stage-left (or would that be stage-right?) to middle-stage to keep the vocalist's head facing forward... :)

That is intersting regarding the guitars position in the mix... I'll have to pull out the 'phones when I get home and try to focus on 'em a bit. I thought they were sitting to the right in the mix...

????

Hmmm... maybe you just got a really crappy stream from soundclick. Did you try the .mp3, or did you stream it?

Regardless, I will:
1. move the photos,
2. take another listen to the soundstage

Thanks!

-Mr. Moon

Mr Moon I have to admit I was brave enough to stream this and for once Nowhere let me LOL Had my cans on and no I haven't been drinking. Let me know what you get when you listen before I go and get my ears checked out.

Gerry

This sounded better on my cheap speakers than it did on my good ones.;)

Needs more bass guitar, and less bass on the rythym guitars.

Those tight hats don't work well in the song with 1/4 notes. I think open hats would work better with 1/4 notes, or tight hats with 1/8 notes.

But then I'm a guitar player, not a drummer.LOL!

:D

Yeah... I'm not much of a drummer either as evidenced by the drum map that I threw together for the tune, huh?!!

;)

I'm slowly learning how to think like a drummer, and maybe my next drum map will have some better hihats and drum fills. At least, I can only hope... :)

Thanks for the feedback!

-Mr. Moon

Back