Any constructive criticism

my constructive criticism is that the server you're hosting your stuff on is giving me 1.5k/second download rates and i'd love to listen if it wasn't going to take over an hour to download your song.

Last edited:
Wow it's that bad huh? I downloaded it once to check the speed and it wasn't that bad. God Download.com sucks ass. Wish the mp3.com was still around. Sorry about that. Maybe I'll look into some other places to serve some of my music.

worked for me ... i like your style its like the beatles thats cool and the quailty is great whatkind of equipment do you use

ah, the speed is much better now.
in my experience download.com is pretty intermittent because it's in such high demand.

cool song. definitely reminded me immediately of the beatles. somehow you got the same thinnish vocal sound, too.
BG vox are too loud, especially the ones on the right side. they're thicker than the lead vox, which is a pretty big no-no.
the mix is simple and dry but it works. rather 'vintage' vibe.

the wah-wah guitar solo seemed a little out of place for the song. but i guess that's just a style thing.
melodies are great. lyrics are excellent too, though i would've maybe added another part in there for a little less repetition.
the fade-out at the end is too long.

good going and good luck!
ps. why are you listed under 'emo?'

edit: the snare sound is bugging me. it's very woody and midrangey. try to bring out the snares more and cut the woodiness. mix in a bit of drumagog if you have to.

Thanks for the info. Yea I get the Beatles thing a lot. They are a huge influence. I actualy was listening to a ton of ELO around the time I wrote this song. The song Telephone line was going through my head over and over while writing this. As far as equipment goes. The console was a Trident series 80B. Man I love that console! I worked on an SSL6000G+ later that year and I hated it after working on that trident. Nothing against the SSL it was great and for the price it should be. The trident is just a personal preference type thing. Bleyrad-Yea I feel your pain on the BG vox being to loud. This mix was actualy done as a quick listen mix after recording was done. Turns out I never did another mix I liked better. There was something magic about. I spent hours trying to do a few "official" mixes none of which had the magical quality of this mix. So I decided to live with the bad bg vox volume. I can fix it as soon as I get the tapes back from my old roomate. Its been a while since I've listened to the song but I don't think there was any Wah on the guit. I do agree that the guit solo was a little of kilter for the song style. I liked it though and it was kind of a one take wonder sort of solo. I hit record he played I stopped the tape and said there we have it. I'm not sure about adding another part. I fealt that the 3 different parts were enough change for me. Maybe a bridge in there would be nice. Bridges sometimes just muck a songs flow all up if they aren't done right though. Yes the fade is super long. I was waiting to get the song into protools or to a mastering house to work on the fade a bit more. The EMO thing pisses me off! I was on the ground floor of download.com when it first started back up from Mp3.com and there set up back then for selecting a genre was all messed up. That will be fixed soon as well as the picture. I agree with the snare. It partialy has to do with the amount of room mic I have in the mix. The drums I played on were absolute crap. I did all I could to make them sound the best I could. If anyone is interested I think I used an AT4033 for the vox.

It reminds me of Ben Folds which is not a bad thing. Nice singing. I didn't find the backing vocals too loud but I do agree that the guitar solo was not the best choice. It seemed like the guitar solo was forcing it's way through the song instead of meshing with it. Maybe if the guitar was allready established in the choruses it might not have seemed as much out of place. I think a piano solo would have been cool. Nothing too over the top just something that cruises along with the song.

Nice job.

Cool simple song. The backing vox are a little close, I would opt for more room in the mics on those. The right oohs are louder in my headphones. The lead is too washed for the tone of the song to my ears. The toms in the fills sound too thudy to make any impact.
The fade is a poor choice in this tune in my opinion. It would be an easy resolve to make and the fade out just seems like a cop out.

Not bad, fun listen.

audioholic said:
http://music.download.com/patrickramsay

Check out Firelight. It's the only song on there so it's not hard to find. No making fun of the picture I screwed up when I compressed it to a GIF and have been too lazy to fix it.

Really good songwriting.

My main criticism would be the fade out at the end. And yes... there was something about the guitar solo that didn't sound quite right for the song.

But criticisms aside... it sounded real good.

Where's George?

Yeah, you definitely have the beatles thing going, and someone mentioned Ben Folds..all justified AND great compliments.

But that guitar solo dude.... It came from left field....
You're sitting there listening.... all settled down in this (beatles-ben folds)mood--then out out left field comes C.C deville's drunk cousin to rip a (sometimes out of tune) solo. It just doesn't go.

Seriously though it's a really good tune man, GREAT song writing, excellent vocals and good over all mix.

Just think George Harrison IF and when you decide to do that guitar solo again.

Back