Any comments on these recordings?

jonorigin said:
No replies eh, they must be perfect then!!! :)

yes....of course.....

whatever you say....

When you fall is a cool tune musically man...
lyrics are hard to understand...
vocals are straining but do stay in pitch....
a lower register might be cool....then use the lead vox as a vox harmony track...
drums sound very well performed....I like the ride and the crash a lot...
you guys must gig well....
good live sound man...

What was the signal chain?

Thanks for the tips there!!! It seems to be my biggest weakness that I always write melodies at the high end of my range and it ends up sounding strained. I like the idea of useing the lower one as the high melody though, think i'll give that a go tomorrow!!

Signal chain? does that mean the stuff we use for recording and stuff? (we don't really know what we're doing here, just trying to muddle our way through!!) Basically I have a PC with a MOTU 24I i got second hand, running Sonar with Ozone. Then I use some cheap rackmount preamps into an akg drum mic set, a couple of sm57's and a 58 for the vox valvetronix amp and vocals, and DI the bass.

jonorigin said:

Signal chain? does that mean the stuff we use for recording and stuff? (we don't really know what we're doing here, just trying to muddle our way through!!) Basically I have a PC with a MOTU 24I i got second hand, running Sonar with Ozone. Then I use some cheap rackmount preamps into an akg drum mic set, a couple of sm57's and a 58 for the vox valvetronix amp and vocals, and DI the bass.

Man..that's beautiful....
good job man...keep at it...

Almost Drowning -- I really like this one. There's a groove that's easy to fall into. The chorus is the weak link -- it doesn't have the punch that the verses do. Arrangement-wise, that is.

Just a Game feels forced. I'm not sure why, but it feels as if the vocals, the playing, etc -- something's not there. Emotionally, not musically. I don't know if that makes sense.

When you Fall -- Ah, the emotion. It's back. This one has a certain warmth to it. The vocals are low in the mix. I'm no expert, but maybe some reverb? They sound as if they're a voice over. Karaoke-like. But the playing. Very tight and driving.

Thanks for the listen. These were cool. Keep having fun.

G

Back