Any comments appreciated

darwinsdoggy

I never really tried anything bluesy before so I thought I would give it a whirl. I'm not overly excited about the song structure, seems to be missing something(maybe a decent bridge, hehe). As a general disclaimer I have to say what I'm sure most(if not all)of you have said at one point: the sound quality of a streaming mp3 loses alot of the dynamics of the song. That being said, of course, all glaring errors are mine. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

"Songs of Yesterday"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/lancelangloismusic.htm

I had to listen to the lo-fi version because of my S****y 14.4 dial-up from home.

Sounded good though. I'll try again tomorrow from work :) and give it a better listen.

Nice voice BTW

Dennis

I liked the song, guitar & vocals sounded good. Drums I thought were too bright & loud in the mix & I'm not crazy about the effect on the snare. Is there a bass in there, or just guitar?

I tinkered with the drum sound quite a bit. My previous attempts had all left the drums sounding dull and lifeless so I may have just over-compensated in trying to correct it this time.

BTW, you're right, there is no bass. I don't have one. I just eq'd one of the guitars to try and give some bottom end. Cheap and lazy, I know, but necessary.

darwinsdoggy said:
Any Comments Appreciated
I like eating cheese in my underwear. That's a really cool thing.

(I'm taking a ride on the goofy train today...lol...I'll be back after I listen).

nice stereo sound, a little clipping on the git at intro tho. A little compression on the vox might help with the inconsistency in volume, but it really ain't that bad the way it is right now tho. Some subtle delay on the vocal might help a little, too. Right now it sounds like the singer is a little out of breath.

The drum sounds well-recorded, is it real or some nice loop?

AL

The drums came from a loop that I augmented here and there. Thanx for the input on the vox. I'll tap in a little delay and see if it sounds any better.

hey darwinsdoggy,

I dug on your voice. Thought the vox track itself might be a bit crispy at times (over compressed?)

I admired how you captured and controled the flange/univibe effect on the git.

I was kinda feeling a want of more bass presence or maybe a more active bass line. Opinion on the bassline, of course:D

I think you could forgo a bridge in the arrangment if you stick some lea git fills in and maybe let the standing arrangment breath some with an instrumental solo, something simple and echoing the loose melody, heading back into the final vocal verse and exit.

Just some thought on and appreciations of your song.

Peace,

Theron

Kinda Bluesy but not Da Blues. ;) Nice concept on the tune dude and Good Vox and Geetar. Mix was not bad either but had to Stream it Lo Fi. Not a member there.

Hey! Is that place free? :cool:

CR ><>

Hey Axe, most definately not "da Blues"...I need better solo skills for that. Too busy playing with rythyms to sit down and run some scales.

BTW, Soundclick's basic services are free but they have some pretty good fee-based services for promotional purposes also. Haven't been there too long but like it so far.

Your voice...absolutely LOVE IT. Character in the throat...very cool.

The mix...I don't like the reverb on the drums, and that snare sounds really really weird to me...like nothing but highs in it.

I'd mic the acoustic, although I really thought the effect kinda' worked.

WHERE'S THE BASS??? Lol... I swear, I hear something that carries the low end in parts, but then it completely drops out in the chorus and just kinda' sucks the life out of it...

Anyway...I liked the tune and the way you sang it a lot. Mix needs some meat from somewhere. Good luck.

Thanx Chris...
I've tinkered with those drums for more hours than I care to mention but can't seem to get what I want, so my search continues. The song definately needs some meat in places...I don't own a bass or a bass player so my only recourse is to eq(or detune, god help me) one of the guitars to fill in the bottom end. Like you said, it works in some places and falls flat in others.

Thanks for the input...

darwinsdoggy said:
.I don't own a bass or a bass player so my only recourse is to eq(or detune, god help me) one of the guitars to fill in the bottom end. Like you said, it works in some places and falls flat in others.
Hey man, here's a thought...I have an electric bass, but it doesn't always sound so great on certain songs. As an experiment, I took an acoustic guitar and mic'd it as close as I could get it without the mic touching the strings...I mean, RIGHT in front of the soundhole. If you play a pretty simple bass line, you don't even have to detune the guitar...it just sounds like you're playing a bass part kind of in the middle of the neck. Anyway, I think that would work wonders on this one...like during the chorus...on the stacatto parts, just pluck a note on the acoustic whenever the kick drum hits, and let it ring.

later,
chris

Back