Any advice?

IsmaelTapiaII

Hi, everyone. I'm new around here, but everyone really seems to have good stuff to contribute, so I was hoping you guys would listen to a short little piece of music I recorded and tell me how I might make it better. You can listen here: http://www.thisishereisnowhy.net/guitar demo.wav.

I'm looking more for comments about the tone and the recording itself rather than the composition, but anything is welcome. I'm concerned that the guitars might sound too bass heavy and muddy.

Here's my setup: I played a Gibson SG through a Big Muff Pi into a Marshall JCM800, through a crappy 4x12 amp. I pointed an SM57 right at one of the cones, about two inches from the amp cover. That went into a Lexicon Omega and into my computer, where I used Adobe Audition. Let me know what you think.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong forum. If I am, please let me know where it's more appropriate.

Thanks in advance for anything you guys have to say!

Cool. There's a lot of stuff that starts going on. If there were only like one of those tracks going on at a time I dont think it would get muddy but it sounds like there a lot of the same guitar tone going on simultaneously which can make it sound muddier. If you get different tones it will be less muddy. I think you have a really nice tone going on but I think your recording may benefit by turning your gain or drive down. It's typical to turn down the distortion when recording. Sounds like you have a really nice rig and the recording sounded good sonically. I think skimping on the distortion a bit will make your tones really come together smoother. You could try eq'ing different tracks in other ways to make them stand in their own space a little better to avoid muddiness. Cool playing btw. :) Erockrazor.

Hey, thanks for all of the positive comments! I'm definitely going to try it with less gain--I didn't know that that was standard procedure until I started reading around on here.

There definitely are a lot of guitars going on. At the end, there are seven--two guitars playing the same power-chord part panned hard left and hard right, a third guitar playing the ascending part, and then four guitars playing the little repeated riff, which I was hoping would work as a sort of canon or round or something.

I'll post the whole song when it's done. Thanks for your helpful input!

Guitars sound fine - not too much bass, and enough definition to hear the various parts. It has a nice thick sound to it with all those layers. The fact that it's a wav file helps tremendously when listening. :D

Back