"Anxiety" (Panic Attack mixed and renamed)

SLuiCe

First, I wanted to apologize to the folks who came after I took the tune down a couple days ago. I very much appreciate you stopping in. I was looking for some initial song reactions before I got deeper into the production and I figured the thread would just disappear once I pulled it down. So sorry about that. And also a big thanks to the few people who heard it and gave me very mindful critiques. Wish there was a way for the thread starter to at least supplement the original post in a thread.

Anyway, this still needs a good bass track, and Pedullist offered to take care of that for me since I don't actually have a bass. But I've been playing with the EQ's on this, particularly in the 2-4K region where all my hell typically breaks loose, and well I guess I'm just looking for a progress report. Whatever it is, just say it.

Thanks for any amount of time taken!

Tom

"Anxiety"

[EDIT- My guitar sound sucks. I can't get the mids under control. Every time I record something heavy, I have this problem and it's driving me mad. So rather than delete the song again, just keep that in mind as you listen, if you listen. I'm going to have to redo this with a new guitar sound. Some day. :(]

Last edited:
Couldn't d/l this fast enough...

Really, really nice clarity on the intro vocal... finger squeaks (which I like... but you may not)

Still ... GREAT definition and clarity on vocals...

Bass may be getting lost in louder part... but then, not everything can have a huge slice in cases like that...

Nice production tricks... w/the different styles of vocal track overlapping...

Hmmm.... don't really like the "typewriter" snare rolls near 2:20...

A NEW instrumental selection after the "Jaguar growl"? Didn't this just go straight into the kick-ass section before? Hmmm... still really good.

The outro vocal track (vocal layers) may sit on top a wee bit much...

Just the initial reactions/listen... coming back...

C

[edit] Would like richer sounding hats near 1:08... small, small crackle around 1:57... another around 2:12 as the gtr arpeggio comes in... arpeggiated gtr may be too loud in general (at LEAST until the louder (kick-ass) part comes in)... outro snare ambience is weird... more thoughts later...

...he said, after seeing "Anxiety" thru the Hubble Telescope ;)

Good Tune!

Very nice song dude. The intro really is quite awesome. Some of the music seemed a bit buried by the vocals in the verse. But i am on a crap computor monitoring system now. very nice sounding. has a cool eerie feel, like there is a little anxiety going on...SHIT! Great tune. What exactly did you do for that beginning vocal effect?

Participant- Thanks for the report Chad.
A NEW instrumental selection after the "Jaguar growl"? Didn't this just go straight into the kick-ass section before? Hmmm... still really good.
Haven't changed anything but the mix.
Really, really nice clarity on the intro vocal... finger squeaks (which I like... but you may not)
I do actually...that's why they're still there. I've had to EQ a few bad ones in past recordings to save the take, but for the most part I like their human quality.
The outro vocal track (vocal layers) may sit on top a wee bit much...
Do you mean the "None of us will sleep..." reprise? With the low vocal notes?
Hmmm.... don't really like the "typewriter" snare rolls near 2:20...
I do.
Would like richer sounding hats near 1:08...
Agreed... I need to change that... really kinda thin aren't they.
Also, I'm hearing the first crackle but not the second... Probably just numb to it now. And I may need to hear that snare ambience thingy on some other speakers. Thanks for mentioning it.

Analytical Man- ya, I'm wondering myself if the verse vocals are too loud. We'll see what others think. I want them more embedded, but if they became unintelligible (like in the first mix!)then the song may come off as being just another violent metal song or something. And it ain't that at all. I don't know.
The intro vocal came with a little experimentation. It's two vocal tracks. One has like a flanger chorusy thing going on, with most of its original frequencies kept intact, and the other is basically a rainbow from 500Hz to 8Khz. One is panned 30% left, and the other 24% right. I added a little delay on the "mid-range" track and cut it anywhere I found it obtrusive. Thanks for the ears!

I always like your stuff. Sounds good on my JBL's. Very Moody stuff. The song fits the title which is the key. The mix sounds clear and the bass comes thru ok with my sub on but could use more balls. The verse vocals could come down a bit as you already know. Very clean gtrs.
Good work.

Myx

Thanks Myx. I'm actually uploading a couple of those fixes right now. Lowering the vocals and cutting some 1KHz overall. I'm starting to realize that 1KHz may be my nemesis.
Cheers!

Ok, now I'm awake

What a cinegraphic piece. This could easily be in one of those futuristic sci-fi's after the plague in huge crowded cities....

Without even mentioning the vocals, the instrumentation of the piece is rich and crunchy. Nice mix between the smooth and acid etched parts. I am not a big heavy metal guy but I think this is above that.

The vocal are clear and clean, a few debatable points, but that is all a matter of taste. Well sung-- and the distorted voice is awesome.

Not something I would listen too everyday--but is a very well done piece and I do like it.

SLuiCe said:
Do you mean the "None of us will sleep..." reprise? With the low vocal notes?

No... after that... the very end... outro "All my life is(it's) panic"... It sounds good on subsequent listens ... but the vox (layers) may be just a bit loud... 1 db or less...

I like the sound, but the timing/velocity is too robotic on some of the rolls IMNSHO... the SOUND should stay for sure, and those snare rolls should stay... but maybe some velocity tweaks are in order...

And I may need to hear that snare ambience thingy on some other speakers. Thanks for mentioning it.

The "ringing" tone of it actually sounds good... it's just that the decay on it is too short, or something... it's like everything else is in the room... but the snare echo is half-as-long...

Great song.

C

Quality stuff here!

I like this a lot, and as always the performance is great.

I think the vox in the verses are just a pubic loud. (not sure how many db a pube equals :D )

I'm still on the fence a bit about the mid rangy guitar sound. Maybe it's just me, but I've listened on 2 pairs of head phones and my pc speakers with the same reaction. Maybe I'm just looking for a bit more warmth in the guitars?

I'm no pro, just a music lover. So hope you don't mind those comments.

Curious....modeled or mic'd amp? I guessed modeled. I can't explain why exactly, just that mic'd usualy gives an illusion of air moving in the sound. Maybe that sounds stupid, just the way my little brain interprets sound. :D

Keep it comin, great stuff.

~scott

Axe4Yahweh- thank you much!

sloop- Thanks a lot sloop. I appreciate you making it through!

Participant- Thanks for clarifying Chad.

sjcrts-
I'm still on the fence a bit about the mid rangy guitar sound. Maybe it's just me, but I've listened on 2 pairs of head phones and my pc speakers with the same reaction. Maybe I'm just looking for a bit more warmth in the guitars?
Me too! And I just CAN NOT seem to get it out of my amp. It is a miked amp by the way. SM57 on a Marshall head/Fender Cabinet. And I've turned the mids all the way down on the head. And still they rage. At the moment I'm wondering if maybe the Fender speakers aren't cutting it and I need to look at something else. Because no amount of EQ seems to get it right. That's basically the help I'm looking for, someone to tell me to give up on my amp if necessary. We'll see...
Anyway, thanks Scott.

Great tune man....nice change ups throughout...good guit playing for sure...rhythmn guit is a bit middy in spots but not bad,...maybe add a gentle bass boost EQ to fatten it up just a tad...the lead guit is cool though...I wouldn't touch that...the arpeggios are really nice man...
Harmony vox seems a little weak in volume...
Drums sound is good man...perhaps some more pop on the snare and Oh yeah...more V on the cymbals....

Who is playing the bass?
Sounds real good to me man...
Good tunage man,
Joe

SLuiCe, I'd bet that the fender speakers are why your lacking that warmth. Unless your using a solid state head.

What Marshall head are you using? Solid state heads tend to be brittle, and tube amps nice and warm. I'm sure know this.....

SM57's are great for guitar cabs, so I won't blame that :D .

In my opinion, Celestion speakers are the best. They're one major factor in getting that warm deep burnished tone Marshall is famous for. They're not to expensive. My Marshall JCM 800 series 2x12 combo has the stock G75's in it. I love them.

Mesa Boogie cabs are great to. They're using Celestions to.

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort...N&search=CELESTION&SearchTotal=CELESTION&DSP=

We'll all keep searching for that perfect sound. ALWAYS lol.

And again, great tune SLuiCe!

Totally new mix posted

This song has giving more anxiety than I had when I wrote it!!!!

I believe I took too much bass out of the guitars. I don't think it's a hyped mid-range problem at all, actually, which would be great news for me if it's true. I've given the low end back to the guitars and would love to know if it has helped.
There is also more drum presence here as well. And I've balanced the vocals a little differently.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you Chad, Joro, Pedullist, Analytical Man, Myx62, Axe4Yahweh, sloop, sjcrts for your help thus far!

Tom

www.nowhereradio.com/sluice/singles

yeah...very midrange heavy with activity. There is no bottom end, and that is what is making the mix so harsh and strident.

listen to my favorite part again (;35- :45)... That is perfectly mixed. Has a nice bottom end to it and nothing is fighting for space. I think potentially your EQing is getting you into trouble so I might suggest to try getting the sound better when tracking. I think you'll get a lot further and be much happier with your sound and mix in the long run. I personally think the bass needs to come up quite a bit when the rock gtrs kick in...especially when you have vocals and leads going on at the same time too. Don't keep it at a set volume so much. When the guitars kick in...kick that bass end in too.

You might try also panning stuff a little bit wider to get the rock guitars out of the way of things too.

Groovy intro man. Very clear. I love the way the clean git sounds at 0:35.

The recording took a dynamic jump at 0:47 (obviously) and lost a lot of clarity. Thought it sounded a little heavy in the lows.

Basically, the "quieter" parts sound great and the heavier parts have some EQ issues (me thinks). But really, it's not "bad" by any stretch.

I dig how your vocal sounds on this. A little buried at time, but the character of your voice is cool. Cool ending too.

Oh yeah... and this is the most normal drum track you've ever put out....

....are you slipping?

;)

(what?!? no china boy?)

:D

WATYF

LOLOL.... :D :D :D

I feel your pain.

:D

But really... I'm listening on the same monitors as you... I leveled the EQ on my MP3 player... and when that heavy part comes in, I get this low end rumble going on. I dunno... maybe it's lower-mids. What the hell do I know. :confused: :cool:

I did take a screen shot using my Spectrum Analyser to show you what I talkin' aboot. This is right when it starts getting heavy. The lows are just goin' crazy.

Check it oat.

....and did I mention that I love that clean git at 0:35. Be-u-tee-ful. :D

WATYF

WATYF said:
LOLOL.... :D :D :D
But really... I'm listening on the same monitors as you>>>>>>

What the hell do I know. :confused: :cool:>>>>>>

....and did I mention that I love that clean git at 0:35. Be-u-tee-ful. :D

WATYF

well...what the hell you DO know is that the guitars are great at :35...

but not aboot the low end!!... :eek: screw the analyzer, use the ears...

now you know, you go away for sooo long... you'll get "leaned on" now extra hard for being tardy!!!:D

Back