"Anxiety" (Panic Attack mixed and renamed)

The most recent version sound great to me. Sounds warmer, but maybe a little less life to it. Hard to tell. Neighbors on both sides of me are mowing their lawns.

I think you have a really good dirty guitar sound, and I've heard it improve over time. That said, it is probably your weakest link (a great guitar tone is your weakest link!;)).

I don't know if this helps or not, but to me it sounds like you're trying to make that Marshall sound like a Boogie. I've got a Marshall JCM 800 and a Boogie DC-3. Your tone sounds a lot more like my Boogie than my Marshall.

My opinion is you have to keep the pre knob on a Marshall below 5 and keep the master in the 7-9 range. That's probably why they're called one trick ponies. They do the power tube sound great but don't make much of a hi-gain amp in my opinion.

Also, my Marshall sounded all gritty and nasaly until my friend modified it. I know lots of people mod their Marshalls. What kind are you using?

Anyway - hope that helps. Your tone rocks as it is, but I can see where you're frustrated.

It's a JCM 900, unmodified. I have a lot of changes in my music, and the one-trick pony just ain't enough! Some interesting points you made there.

How about Rowan Atkinson?? I think he might be the guy to play Arthur.

But who to play Zaphod now that role is key.

Khompewtur said:
But who to play Zaphod... now that role is key.

Zaphod Beeblebrox should be played by someone with arrogance pouring out of every pore.

How about John Ashcroft?

mixmkr said:
go ahead...kick me!!

Nah...you might enjoy it too much. ;)

SLuiCe said:
I have a lot of changes in my music, and the one-trick pony just ain't enough!

I think you're gonna like playing a Boogie. Lots of tricks in them things - not all of which are good, but lots of sounds to play with.

If you get a pod, I'LL kick you :D

SLuiCe said:

. It's just what I've been using for about 8 years to fuck off with. But now it's time for a real guitar sound. I'm going to re-do just about every heavy guitar I've recorded. Oh and the cabinet is closed-back. It's mic'ed with a sm57 2inches from the grill, side of speaker aimed at center, in a walk-in closet.

Anyway thanks Paul.

Several badda-bings here... Thats a fucked up place to have the mic. I can totally say, not even trying it that position, that I would HATE it. Now, I'm sure you've tried the where-cone-meets-voicecoil thing with the 57 about 2 inches away, and you probably listened back right away and said "too thin". But, try it and layer it, pan em out hard, and let the bass fill in gap.
Sm57, straight on, close to the center, get a good amount of voice coil grit in the there, move left to right an inch or so to taste, record a couple tracks and listen back. Maybe even consider combining the way you do it now and like that.
If that doesnt or hasnt gotten you closer, then on to another thing I guess.
2nd badda-bing... How long have the current tubes been in that JCM900? More than 12 months? (hopefully not 8 years, heh) If its been more than 12 months, try replacing the tubes out right away and having it biased at a good shop somewhere. I had a JCM900 lead head for awhile that drove me insane until I figured out the problem was the tubes. The difference was incredible. Also, can you get the cabinet out of the closet when you record? Maybe in the center of a bedroom? I find that a bigger room seems to help a lot.
Does it sound like the recorded sound out in the room when you are in front of the cabinet?
Peace.!

Oh... do you know the tube pencil-test? where you crank the amp up without anything plugged into it, and tap the the tubes with a pencil, if you can hear it through the speakers, you may be having microphonic tube problems and its time to replace them for sure.
But once again, if its been over 12 months (or 8 years) then its time, no doubt about that. I suggest Mesa tubes and having it biased right.

Another thing... do you have really hot pickups in the guitar you are using for dirty sounds? I know for a fact that Zakk Wylde got that crazy fat sound on one of his Ozzy albums with a stock JCM900, a celestion vintage 30 cabinet, and a les paul with an EMG81 in the bridge.
EMG 81 is a very crunchy hi gain pickup. Maybe THAT would help. I'm just shooting ideas as they come to me.
If you want a versatile amp, look into the Mesa Mark IV 1st. Very trick amp to figure out, but its loaded with tones. The rectos a like 3 trick ponies, where the Mark IV is like a 10 tricker...

So you really think I should try putting more into the Marshall, and not just switching? You've definitely mentioned some things I haven't thought of. The tubes are at least 3 or 4 years old. I'm the worst guitar tech in the world. I need a real educating.

Maybe we could pick this up in PM's or email so I don't turn this board into SluicesAmpProblems.com?

Well, I always felt it was common courtesy to change the tubes out for the next owner anyway, but thats just how I am. If it doesnt do the trick, then you are set to sell it and feel like a good man about it.
I would take that head up to a store, have the tubes changed, sit it on a 4x12 celestion vintage 30 cabinet and try one of thier guitars with a really hot brige pickup. If it doesnt cut it, start trying other amps.
Worth a shot, at least you tried everything before spending your wad and finding new, unfriendly debt...

Oh and the pickups I use in the Les Paul are the stocks that come with the 1960 Classic. Wondering about the P90's too.

*CRAPPY HEADPHONES*

I'm NOT commenting on the MIX due to using the listening equipment as mentioned above :(

The song is somehow more vicious than your usual stuff (which are no picnic either :D ). Still somehow this sound more radio-friendly. Is this 4/4 all the way or am I imagining? Some dissonant evil bursts. I like that. It ended so suddenly. I wanted more. Oh well, what can I do. It was another great one of yours.

Gotcha...you're right I should change the tubes out at least, for both reasons.

[EDIT] OH THANKS CRANKY! :) ]

Tom,

This latest mix is the best (imho)... At 1:31 "LOVE" is slightly buried... maybe a doubled/tripled vocal on just that word (& some panning) could spring it.

The "typewriter" rolls on snare sound better.

Some of the dynamic is back & is better than the second mix you posted (after you renamed it)...

Not much to criticize... not sure if my HO means much after everything in this thread, but your guitar sound has become your "signature" to my ears... that 400-450 "growl" with the ~2.2k boost...

Maybe you need a few more ways to "sign your name"... a few more "signatures", but this one isn't bad. Rectifier is all over the radio... sure it would be nice to have that in the "coloring box"... but your tone certainly doesn't "SUCK" because it's not a rectifier or MESA sound, imho.

(Now WATYF will come in and say something brilliant to refute this, and this post will vanish from before your eyes :))

C

oh no... I couldn't possibly do that. I don't have the "credentials" to "refute" anything anyone aroond here would say. ;) :p

Actually... listened to the new mix, and didn't hear the "woof" that I did before... so hey... either he did a little work on the low end, or I was halucinating and should be institutionalized immediately. (I vote for the latter.)

:p

btw,... I dig that "oat the back door" line... I like how you say it with a kind of despair in your voice.... cool beans.

WATYF

Latest mix sounds good. Not much to nit pick that hasn't been covered so I won't bother.

As for the amp tones:

Yes, I would re-tube if they've been in there that long. Especially if it's been run at high volumes frequently. If you've been running at lower volumes try preamp tubes first. If you get no love, go for power tubes as well. That will more than likely require a bias adjustment.

I've run both Mesa, and Groove Tubes in my MKIII head. I prefer the Mesa tubes. I have NOS Telefunkens in my JCM800, and while they do sound awesome they are very pricey. There are also a lot of fakes floating around.....

I also agree that speakers can make a huge difference in the sound of any amp. I absolutely love my Vintage 30's for heavy guitar tones, but my 1960 cab does sound significantly different from my 212 Hollywood cabs. The Marshall has more low-mid "woof". The 212's are tighter with more midrange "bark".

I have EMG 89's in one of my V's, and love 'em. Very powerful, responsive, and quiet pickups with wide freq. response. I still keep the passive pickups in my other axes though. There is a certain character to those that the EMG's can't quite duplicate in critical situations. It has more to do with feel than tone.;)

Back