Another T-Birds cover

HevyD47Ca

I'm still mixing with headphones till the
Edirol ma-10D's show up from Taranna
(A big city on the dark side of the country:))
Powerful Stuff

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing what happens when you get off headphones.:)

I'm hearing a kind of "smiley face" eq on this: dipped mids and hyped highs and lows. I think I'd like to hear a little more level eq-ing. The lows are a tad boomy and the highs are a little harsh. And are you compressing the final mix at all? I think I said this on your last tune too, but I could use a little more breathing room.

Chris

Rocking tune man! Not bad for a headphone mix, but I agree everything sounds pretty squished. I don't really hear any heavy mix compression, but it sounds like you've maybe got some tracks dipping in the red a bit too much? I don't know, it doesn't sound bad by any means, but it does sound like a headphone mix to me. Also, could be just me, but sounds like maybe the snare has more presence on the left than the right, kinda awkward...could be me...

Giving it a second listen on phones...

Ya, I can hear that it sounds a bit more open on the phones. I think you're gonna need some monitors if you want to get your mixes to point where they sit better on your CD player. Though there are some people here who get decent mixes on their cans too, so what do I know. I personally just like to use them for tracking and troubleshooting. And for second listens of Sam's tunes when I'm intoxicated.

Anyway, another good song...keep 'em coming.

Tom

Yeah. The T-Birds are one of my fav's!
Ever hear of "The Le Rio Brothers"? Very similar.

You did a great job covering this one. Getting some monitors will definately open this mix up.

Hey hev, I'll have to wait until there's less traffic on the dial-up. It was coming in at a blistering 1.47kbpm...I woulda been here well into next week with that d/l! I'll catch ya later tonite.

bd

Dan: I tried to load it, but it would take too long with my old computer. Put it on nowhereradio if you can.

MIchael: I know the Leroi Bros well. Is that who you meant? I did a lot of gigs with them in Austn, and their onetime guitarist, Evan Johns, is one of my closet musician friends. Maybe we met. I played the Black Cat Lounge for about 10 years 1982-92. We may know a lot of the same people. Walter

Geeze! I butchered that spelling didn't I! :o
Yes, the Leroi Brothers is what I meant.
I don't know Evan, but I know of him. The Black Cat Lounge used to be one of my old haunts! I bet we do know some of the same people.

Are you in Austin?

Michael: I left in 97 for Santa Rosa, Ca. Who do you play with? Did you ever see my band at the Black Cat? It was Walter Tore's Spontobeat. I always dressed in flashy suits like lame, sequence, etc., had 10 gold rings, 2 rolex watches, greased my hair with tres flores, had a 100 foot guitar chord and use to go out on 6th street and direct traffic while playing, had crazy Curly (the ex Huntsville murderer as our body guard-he worked for 20 beers a night), drove a greenish 1963 Caddy and a 1959 black Caddy limo, both mint. We used to park the limo on the side walk in front of clubs and use it as a dressing room. It had Texas and American flags on the the front fenders. I was pretty big on the scene from the early 80's through the mid 90's. We started the Black Cat with Evan and the H-Bombs and Teddy(Roddy) and the Talltops. I had killer bands in those days. One night at the BC we had Eric Johnson, Will and Charlie Sexton, David Grissom, David Holt, Lou Ann Barton, Bobby Keys, Speedy Sparks, Jimmy Carl Black, Timbuck 3, and Ronnie Lane, all sit in! We just kept passing instruments around to each other. That kind of night, start at 10ish and often play to 5am, were the norm at the Black Cat. You should see the guitar Paul gave me at a going away party at Stubbs BBQ. It was made by a mojo man, and has a spell on it. It is the Black Cat Mojo Guitar, a homemade national steel type thing, with killer tone. They were some wild days!! Say hi to all for me. Walter

Last edited:
As I Cry

Walter:

Just had a second listen to your new post.
The guitar playing is really inspired in this one.

Dan

Woo! Neat! Like the gated reverb on the snare, but way too much rumbly bottom end in this, and the bass had no definition, just kind of rumbly. Really like the guitar, what kind of guitar and amp? Needs something else though, like another ryth guitar or pad of some kind maybe? Good vocals.

Taranna? Never hoid of it....

Nice vocals - I agree with Groucho and others re: EQ.

All in all you boys ROCK!

Thanks for the listen

:) Q.

It's got a great live sound for me, could be the effect on the vocal, love the kick on the bass drum -

I had this rocking on my patio last night, girls were getting down....and it just downhill from there. :)

Thanks to you'all

groucho: hopefully I'll be able to flatten out that smile a bit:)

Sluice: I really appreciate your encouragement man. It keeps me striving to improve the music.

M Jones: the tbirds had one of the best 2 man (guitar and singer) units ever.

Walter: Ya hijacked my thread:)

schenkerguy: I don't much use that drum font any more.
I've since found fonts that work better for me.

Qwerty: I love it when people refer to my recordings as you guys cause thats definitely the effect I am going for.

lynx: I hope you had the patio lanterns on:)

Pedullist: You're with Qwerty? Hey I'm cool with that:)

HD,

Great musicianship... great performance!!

I'm hearing some serious lows... almost subsonic rumble in this... the kick drum. It's loud to the point of clipping... below about 50Hz. Also agree with the first poster about the smiley-face EQ... this pup is seriously mid-scooped sounding.

Hopefully, the kick track didn't clip on recording... and you could cut about 3-4db below 50Hz on that pup. Also sounds like some heavy reverb on it... might want to try drying just the kick out... even just a little bit (unless that's a real room sound... of course :))

Very nice musicianship, and a tight band!

Chad

Smokin! I love the tune.. The panning was ok, I`d just like the guitar grindin away on both sides... it`s nice and fat

participant - I'll settle for the nice comments on my abilities, at least till the near-fields show up, then it's time to settle in to learning mixing and mastering.
Thanks again p:)

Toki!!!! - "nice and fat" THATS ME:D

Back