Another Steenamaroo cover.

So far, so good Steen. I'm not mad on the reverb on the vocals, I think the song would suit a dryer sound. The vocals themselves sound good as usual though.

Who's the original by? I don't think I've heard it before. Look forward to hearing the full song.

At this satge you should be running things pretty dry.
Now, get a mellotron and use the cello tapes or the male choir.
Your voice is lovely BUT you don't seem to have invested any emotion in the track. Now, if that's a stylistic thing - like Yazoo or something that's fine.

At this satge you should be running things pretty dry.
Now, get a mellotron and use the cello tapes or the male choir.
Your voice is lovely BUT you don't seem to have invested any emotion in the track. Now, if that's a stylistic thing - like Yazoo or something that's fine.

Can't argue with any of that. :) Cheers.

I tend to record+mix a section to see if it works, then move from there.

It's habit I suppose. I've recorded songs that just don't suit my voice at all, but I didn't know till it was done, so now I test waters.

I remember doing a full on true-to-the-original recording of rocket man...It sounded fantastic.
I only had to record a few lines of vocals before I realised it wasn't for me! :facepalm:

The emotion thing is probably a part of that. The 'get it right to see if it's gonna work' mentality.
That said, I'm not a particularly expressive singer, so maybe I should take note of that anyway.

EDIT. With regard to the choir sound, the original has terrible sounding synthetic choirs so I'll probably stick to that.
The alternative is to record it all in parts myself, but it never works as well as having a few different real voices.
Cheers guys.

I don't know the original, but if it had "terrible sounding synthetic choirs" then that is your clue on how to do it better... drop them. The choirs are the bit about this that I don't like.

I don't know the original, but if it had "terrible sounding synthetic choirs" then that is your clue on how to do it better... drop them. The choirs are the bit about this that I don't like.

I can see your point, but it was kinda the appeal to me. I'm not sure why but I liked them.

Cheers anyway, Simon. The comment's appreciated.

Back