Another pop punk recording

ConcreteHippo

A few days ago i recorded this song and just finished mixing it. Im sure i still could do a lot more to make it sound vene better so any feedback is welcome.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4613

I plan to re-record the vocals becuase they came out horrible and i didnt notice until i got home. They sound very echoy and roomy, i think it is where the singer was when he recorded them.

The bass is a bit boomy & undefined.
The drums sound wrong too out front maybe.
the kick drum sounds like a death metal click. Not really quite right for this genre.
The song sounds good though - the retracked vocals should make a big difference.
Good work so far.

i dont mean to sound harsh, but i think everything needs work on this one. for one, it sometimes doesnt even really sound like the 2 hard-panned guitars are in tune with eachother, playing in time with eachother (like at around 2:34), or sometimes they dont even sound like theyre playing the same song. its like its too 'forced' or something. like whoever did the guitars tried way too hard to make it poppy-punky. vocals notwithstanding, it just doesnt flow well. the drummer/drum programmer isnt keeping time (especially in the first minute or so and again at around 2:34) and the drums sound like a toy kit. again, im not trying to be overly critical, its just what i hear. maybe go back to the drawing board on this one and put some balls into it.

yea bassically what you said, or most of it, has entered my mind. I like the song thought, but yea i am retracking vocals.

The singer is the deffinition of stubbourn, and everybody knows the vocals dont flow well but he wont do anything about it.

Anyhow i was more concered with the mix aspect of the song.

ConcreteHippo said:
yea bassically what you said, or most of it, has entered my mind. I like the song thought, but yea i am retracking vocals.

The singer is the deffinition of stubbourn, and everybody knows the vocals dont flow well but he wont do anything about it.

Anyhow i was more concered with the mix aspect of the song.
well what is your part in this band/song? if your singer has any self-respect or interest in making a good track, he'll jump at the chance to redo it. if not, your singer sucks and maybe you should find a new one. im afraid the 'mix' isnt the only problem with this song. unless you get very creative/lucky with some hardcore editing, im thinking most of the parts will have to be re-recorded. this song has time changes and starts and stops, so set up a tempo track (if you can) and have everyone follow it precisely. if they cant, then i dont know what else to tell you.

im just friends of everyone in the band, and belive me they have been trying to get a new singer.

i never really paid attention to exact timing like keeping a consisten temp, just reocrd drums and everybody follows that. Ill set up a metrenome or something next time.

ConcreteHippo said:
im just friends of everyone in the band, and belive me they have been trying to get a new singer.

i never really paid attention to exact timing like keeping a consisten temp, just reocrd drums and everybody follows that. Ill set up a metrenome or something next time.
thats usually fine - if the drummer can keep a steady beat. set up a click track and have the drummer listen to it over his headphones while laying his drum track. if he knows what hes doing and knows the song, it shouldnt be a problem. playing to steady click also makes punch-ins and everything else much easier when it comes time to edit and mix.

Back