ANother mix for critique!

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
Another mix for critique!

Another tune from a band recording a CD in my studio.

I've used a lot of the suggestions I got on the mix I posted of a different tune last month...hopefully this one will be relatively "tweak-free" at this point...but if I REALLY believed that, I wouldn't be posting it, would I? :D

The tune is called Recent Nights .

Let me know what you think-good OR bad!

Thanks!

Last edited:
hiya dude...been awhile. this is pretty good tracking here. In the intro the piano is subdued a bit much. Maybe run the compressor on it to pick it up to the level where as when the horn comes in. As the verse starts the overheads on the cymbals are a bit strong for me. In the quiet parts after the hook the piano goes way too soft and then rises back to the main track level. I think the level could be more consistent. and not interfere with the vocal track. On the end, that cutoff is quite abrupt , letting that piano chord go infinite in a fade would be dynamic. I bit more low end on the kick and bass would pulse it a bit more and support the strong vocals.

Toki-

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a feeling the piano parts were a little quiet at the beginning and middle, but I kept listening to it thinking "It'll be OK."...guess not. That's an easy fix.

I never heard the OH's quite that hot in my tracking version. I'll have to listen to it again-I don't THINK the MP3 conversion would have done that, but I agree 100%-it's kinda annoying.

Thanks again!

ugh cheesy lyrics !!

musically it is fun though. The mix sounds pretty good...cymbals and snare kind of loud, and a bit much reverb on the vocals for me but that's a matter of taste and style.

good work!

I dislike the snare sound. Sounds somewhat hollow and weak in the mix. The drum sounds "choked". If it is a real snare you are using, I might suggest loosening the tuning a little and giving it a touch of reverb.

I agree with Toki987 and Rhythmsmythm. Snare sounds like it needs some hi's tweeked up and vol level backed down a little, back the horn down a bit and bring up the keys.

Just a little more balance to the mix mainly outside the drums.

:cool:

D

Back