another microtonal piece

ubertar

This one's a little weirder, and more recent. It's in seven tone equal temperament. It's called "lizard on a branch".

Cool sound. This has none of the veiling I described in the previous thread. Really nice.

Can you describe the instruments and how they were recorded?

There's a great interplay between the plucked instrument and the marimba-like instrument. Percussion sounds very good as do the bells. What's the drone-like instrument that sounds heavily compressed? It's like a sustained gong. Is it compressed or is that just its natural sonority?

Tim

That is pretty wild man - has a real "jungle" vibe to it, real roots music with all that percussion. I can hear this in an orchestra setting or in a motion picture soundtrack. Very cool! :cool:

Timothy Lawler said:
Was the m'birangi's track compressed?

Tim

No, not that I recall. There was overall compression on the mix, but I don't think I compressed any of the individual tracks.

Timothy Lawler said:
What were the recording chains used on this?

Tim

I should start taking notes on this stuff... it's really hard to remember. The percussion was mostly the same setup-- a combination of altec 673a and rca 6207 into a nortronics ra-100 and an ati m-1000. I think. The tablas were with a rca varacoustic ribbon on the bayan and a unidyne III sm57 on the tabla. Or it might have been an sm76 instead of the 57. The m'birangi (both the plucked tines part and the drone part) and the microtonal guitar went through a '57 fender champ. The guitar was recorded with a combination of sony C37p to a modded bellari mp110 and shure 315 to the nortronics. I don't remember what mics I used for the m'birangi stuff. Probably the same ones, but I think I only kept one. I know I had two mics on the electric saron, directly on it, and maybe one on the amp. I don't remember what they were. I think at least one that was on it acoustically was the shure sm76. Sorry I can't remember more.

Back