Another "Miami Vice" 80's rocker :-D

Gosh darn, I love this song.

Everywhere from church bells and hammond organ to bagpipes. Killer guitars.

The only comment I would have, and this is being VERY critical,
I thought I heard a few mismatches on the guitar harmonies. But that is a taste thing. What you did, DOES match the song. You heard it the way you heard it. And I like it very much.

Awesome job!

My review.

"Victory"

Sound quality:
Appears to be well recorded with good quality. I think the overall volume could use a little more cranking up. Loudness maximizer...(?) :)

Effects:
Reverb and everything in place. I don't know much about guitar effects but I'm digging it. I like the bagpipe sound alot.

Duration/Repetition:
This is one of those tracks which end and you think "so soon..?".
It's now rolled like 10 times on my winamp and I'm not really bored with it.

Mixing:
Sounds balanced.

Chords & melodies:
Nice, uplifting and they give you a good mood.

Summary:
I like this track, it just seems it desperately lacks vocals. Anyway I like your "message" with this song too.. I noticed the name of the mp3.. ;)

Club Zero

thanks for the words, Club...

I'll have to go back and re-listen to your stuff with the understanding of the meaning of "Trance" now....thx

mixmkr,

Good stuff! Very cool. Good guitar. I was suprised at "the message" in your music. It's cool that you can get a positive vibe and still maintain an edge.

The second song, "Yellow brick road" had some nice whammy stuff also. The singing sounded a bit like "Rob Zombie" to me but other then that, I liked it. I'll check out more when I see it.

peace.

www.mp3.com/samicide

Tight.

Well-played.

A bit too much reverb, maybe? The thing about reverb is that it seems to make the sound more attractive, but it actually loses some definition. I'm really fond of Mr Bungle's 'California' for example, but after a while I feel like I'm looking at (or listening to) all the sound through glass. I figure their engineer uses about 14 different reverbs on each song.

I think you play tight enough to not need reverb to cover up.

I'd like to hear what you could do with a tune that was uplifting without having a dispsy doodle melody. Something with a musical intelligence to match your own.

It all sounds well-mixed to me

But the melody is so strong, especially the first wah-wahed (or whatever it was) guitar - such a strong melody cries out for 'big' vocals!

I like the basic sound of the song - it sort of sounds like the new David Gilmour-led Pink Floyd going back and redoing 'Dogs' in a modern style. That's a compliment, by the way.

Definite repeat factor, as mentioned.

The bagpipe melody - really good old hornpipe feel that builds on your first guitar phrases - I'm really impressed. And the doubled boston-y guitars at 1:10 or so - really tasty!

Synth pads at 2:00 - also good, but I have a personal dislike for those glassy sweeps.

Can't see what to criticize, really.

Definitely an 80's thing happening here!

Mixmkr... the overall balance is nice and tone-wise, everything is allright, but still somehow not quite "there."

There were a number fo songs in the 80's I remember hearing that had the same problem -- lack of punch. The sounds are all there, but they all sound "pushed back" when they should be more up-front and present. You may be adding too much verb, creating more distance - but I think also you're mixing it too thinly in the mid and upper mids. You WANT some impact and make the leading tracks to be present and well-defined.

The drums sound canned -- one way to punch them up is to get those toms out from the background and more articulate via level and careful EQ.

Some very short delays on key tracks, tucked in just under the undelayed track can help draw out depth immensely.

Good job overall -- only thing missing is a heavily verb'd train whoosh!! ;)

Bruce

thx alot Bruce...
that's the kinda feedback I am looking to hear, and I knew I could get it from you. I really appreciate your comments and time.
....and yeah...I probably own too many reverbs and use them too much...sign of an efx rookie...eh?;)

2002? how am i seeing this! the song is gone, would like to hear it. i listened to lil zep, nice wanking!

Back