Another Example Of Why I Can't Sell Songs

chrisharris

King of Bling
I'm just not "happy" enough...LOL. Don't get me wrong, in my personal life, I'm blissfully happy 24/7. But I cannot, for the life of me WRITE "Happy" songs. When I try, they suck. Even the funniest song I've posted here was called "FUCK YOU."

So I've been feeling guilty about not writing a song for my wife -

ever

I mean, we've been married 13 years now, and I've written over 200 songs in the 15 years that I've known her - AND NOT ONE FOR HER!!!!

So I set out to write a:
1. HAPPY song;
2. FOR MY WIFE

LOL...(run for the hills - plus, there's little doubt about this one being country...you've been warned)

ithis definitely rides the fence between goofy and serious, but it's NOT "happy." :D

I gave it a sincere shot...but it just comes off as really sarcastic and pissed off...

www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
"YOU'RE A LOT LIKE ME"

I got up early to mix this, and I had to do it on headphones, so I'm sure all the freaking vocals are waaay loud; but the drums are supposed to be really quiet...

...and it's okay to laugh at this one; it's meant to be kinda' funny...sorta'... a little bit :D

Last edited:
Hey Chris,
Very nice tune man. Im listening at work, so ....bla bla bla:) ..
A very nice "happy" tune man. Solid writing, as usual. Man, you sure pinch these out fast, do you have a studio at the office too....... ...if so, those folks that are laying down those fat retentions deserve a couple of points on your next cd:D The guits sound great, and i absolutely love the mando in this. You are really good at conveying the "sweet, and caring" side of country.(G trying desperately not to sound gay:D ) Thats a strong talent in your genre. On these speakers the "oooooh's" bg's sound a little hot, but im thinkin you already know that.

"Have a nice day" .....and i do mean well :)
gw/5

LMMFAO

I've seen your "better half," G, and your sexuality is not in question.

God, that was funny.

However, you are the enemy, b/c you're on the job @7:00 a.m., and knowing the business you're in, probably more like 6:00. I hate people who can do that, LOL.

I know this isn't exactly your bag...I don't think it's mine either, but I really appreciate the listen, man.

If you ever wanna' torture yourself with this again, try it on headphones sometime...you can audibly hear the kids kicking each others' asses in the background, LOL.

I thought it was appropriate for the song, so I left it in. :D :D

I also think the mix that's up is kinda' harsh... It's like my "thing."

Chris = Harsh, in both sound and content. :D

Thank you very very very much for the laugh...and for trying.

I thought this was a pretty nice song. I'd have to say it's not happy. Close to happy, but just not quite there. But it's a nice song for your wife - you succeeded there. Nice pretty melody.

Some real good lines here and there. "I've never gotten along too well with the world at 7AM. You morning people have a clear advantage in the world I'm living in." That was first rate. The motivational speaker lines were just fantastic.

Now the "screwy as a football bat" line was... well.... screwy as a football bat. :D:D:D. "Problems with authority"... been done a million times.

The high harmony part sounds a little harsh in spots. Synching issues in the first chorus (elsewhere too I think).

Really nice clean acoustic guits. Nice parts too.

Good job. I really like the song.

TripleM said:
I'd have to say it's not happy. Close to happy, but just not quite there.
Hey Trip - thanks for taking the time, and yeah; that's kind of my point. I cannot write "happy." LOL. I try, and it comes out like this.

In fact, I started this with the express intention of proving that I COULD write "happy." Well, I guess I showed ME! LMAO.

I agree with everything you said, as usual. The "football bat" line has to stay, though...little joke with the wife.

Thanks again,
-the hack

chrisharris said:
The "football bat" line has to stay, though...
c'mon...sing it...hehehehee...it'll grow on you.

Although, I have to admit, it sounds a lot funnier when you kinda' yell it out, and use the "F" word...like "THAT'S A FUCKED UP AS A FOOTBALL BAT!"

:D

(new ver. up, btw)
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

The next tune I record will be the most commercially minded piece of tripe I've ever written

..and I don't really have a "shrink," lol

he fired me :D

Im here at 5:30 man:D I try to be open to everything, I like some country, I just cant write it well. I like anything "emotional"......most definitely not genre-specific. .....I just wanna feel something. What can i say, Im just a 6'7" 220lb, sensitive construction worker ......:D (sniff)

Chris,

Sorry, but a "happy country song" is an oxymoron! That's OK, you gotta write what comes naturally to ya, or it sounds contrived. So just give up on "trying" to write to a formula. It'll happen when it happens.

You do however write some "funny" (I like quotation marks!) stuff, and this is a great song on it's own, happy, funny, or otherwise.

P.S. next time see your shrink. I've got better things to do, and I'm not licensed.

:D :D :D :D
Twist

great writing........i really liked it

my favorite line:
"sometimes write em down in a song.....it's good enough for me.......it's therapy...."

you seem to write happy songs like i do.....with a painful disposition.

didn't listen on headphones, but over the speakers, sounds like a great mix.......nothing i'd suggest.............great song

Another winner Chris.I like the writing.Cool lyrics and yes I laughed almost all the way through.LOL."Screwy as a football bat".LMAO!...we used to use that reference we when got wasted.LOL.....LMAO!The Motivational speakers line is funny man.LOL.......You're anti-social too?:D

"I dont mean to be rude,but I'm in one of my moods,so why dont take a nice day straight to hell".ROTFLMAO!!!!!WEEEEEEE!

Man,I've got tears from that line.LMAO!

The mix sounds fine to me Chris.I just cant stop laughing at the humorous lyrics.:D

Kramer said:
I just cant stop laughing at the humorous lyrics.:D
Man, that makes me feel very very very very good. That's kind of my sense of humor in a nutshell...same thing with the wife; we're equally twisted, which gives us a certain balance, I guess. She laughed a lot with this one. I mean, she usually just laughs AT my songs, so it was a refreshing change. (speaking of my off-center humor, I'm both apalled and disappointed that nobody has mentioned the almost "synthysizer-like" quality and tone of the background vocals...I'm trying to remember what effect I used on them...hrmmmm...was it reverb? No... chorus?...a little, but still...dang it...what was it??? BUT YOU CAN BET YOUR ASS IT WASN'T AUTOTUNE! ONLY PEOPLE WHO CAN'T SING USE THAT SHIT! Lol)

powderfinger - Yeah, that may be one reason that I'm such a big fan of your tunes. :D

twist - Uh huh...I put the "moron" in oxymoron whenever I can. :D I appreciate the songwriting comments a lot, and I'm just waiting for that "commercial muse" to stop by any day now.

...waiting...waiting :D :D

"WOW!! Those background vocals sound like an instrument!

LMAO - Well FINALLY! Missed you there, sam. Thanks for checking it out. :D

Lotsa great lines in this. Listened on phones..sounds like a very good mix. Good for you man, she ought to love this. I've wrote several for my wife and I always get the :-)rolleyes: ) look:confused: . So now I write songs for other women that will appreciate my work:D hehe! Enjoyed it!

Ill be standing in line for the next Chris Harris CD release.....damn good stuff again......great bg vocals and use of AT (you should get an endorsement:D )

Nice string sounds. Boy you really are a sarcastic dick huh? No man that's cool...I just don't know how you ended up with children :D

I'm taking a big risk that you'll see the humor in that...
:)

This is a helluva nice mix for cans. I remember a time when I assumed that was the best way to mix...maybe it actually is for you ;) Cool song, even for country.

why do I get the uneasy feeling I'm in some way responsible for this ? :D Gee wizz chris this is a good song ... maybe even surpassing "old yeller".

A happy tune ? ... well lots of humor anyway. In a backhanded kind of way I'm sure your wife will love it .... has she heard it yet :rolleyes: ;)

your recordings are sounding heaps better quality wise these days... this forum must be doing you good. My only critisism for this song musically would be that I think you whimped out on the ending a bit... the rest of the song is quite rich so the last few notes are a bit disapointing IMHO.

Actually I think our perceptions of what country is are clearly different. I thought this was folky but not really country. I liked it.

Back