Another Demo

Bob A. Vader

hey all...just thought i would share this with you..

the second song down "Reality"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2393/singles

i added it to my nowhere radio singles page so you can stream it and you wont have to waste time or space d/ling to your puter

my previous excuses apply

also...i played it way too fast....so it comes off as sort of a punk tune,,,but hey..maybe thats a good thing since i suck so much :)

also..i know the guitar solo sucks,,,but...

one day the perfectionist in me will kick in and i will get serious about getting a good solid groove down before i do anything else

so your comments are welcome...i cant take it like a man this time...

the idea for your tune is pretty darn good here to me. The picking was pretty tight too. The level of the the crunch rythym is very dominant over everything else throughout most the song on my listen. I couldnt hear a lot of the vocal, some of the drums stuff got washed over. The bass sounds like it has a precision pickup in it or its one of those P basses. that type pickup can get really thwacky thwack on some notes and still not have a lot of body. I like a little more tone on the bass with a little less attack. The drums stuff was souning pretty good but lacked that fraction of a second instant where you hear the stick touch the head, that can give you a little more definition and let them cut through. I think you got your parts squared away well, just some tweakin in the mix levels to make them balance and compliment each other a little more might be your cross to bear, as it is mine. I did enjoy the listen. I try to learn something from everything... :)

i remember you last one...the recording was a bit raw, but the writing was really good......

I cant listen right now...past my curfew:D

but i PROMISE I will be back to listen and comment:)

MIKE

Well, if everyone is avoiding your posts I'll make it a point to drop in whenever you post a new song. Not a bad tune...I agree with Toki on most of what was said. The guitar seems to overpower the vox and even the drums to the point where they drop out. It's a strong performance. I think balancing those levels in the mix could make it stronger.

hey...thanks for the all feedback...i wish i could use all those suggestions..but i cant since all i have is a four track and i already dumped the tune to record another...which is almost done..

i need to pick me up some extra zip disks so i can record multiple tunes without having to delete others to make room...

but again..thanks for listen and feedback....

i hope to get another mic(i only have one), find the time to practice to get rid of the rust and then i will get serious about recording a good solid drum part..as well as the other instruments

The bass sounds like it has a precision pickup in it or its one of those P basses

you are right on the money..its a new york pro...which is a cheap p bass copy

:)..i am a little buzzed right now..

cool rythym ...the mix needs work...but so do the pipes under my house we'll just see which gets done first!!!..lol...i like the "underground" feel i know it wasnt intentional but a product of the mix..HOWEVER it would work with a bit of tinkering and still keep the "raw" feel to this....

keep em coming..
jamal

i like it bobavader. very trashy sounding. i remember that you're budget constrained and still using tape i think so i'm gonna offer some advice that you might not hear a lot around these parts.

don't change much. just stick with this and keep writing music. if you start buying things, it's and endless road to nowhere but broke!

you could use a little leveling out in your vocals. i think you might be able to accomplish that with technique rather than a compressor. buying a compressor would be easier but technique is a better road. that's all i have to offer really. work on the vocals. the rest is fine.

Bob A. Vader said:
i played it way too fast....so it comes off as sort of a punk tune

it sure does, but I like it! :)

I'm hearing a lot of distortion in the vocals in certain spots, and it also sounds very mono.. Did you have a Tremolo effect on the guitar?

I did enjoy the song, but there are quite a few problems as pointed out..

I just read that you can't change it, so just keep some comments in mind for the next time..

cool song..

once again the sound quality isnt where it needs to be, but the performance seems alot tighter and song is good..........

i like the bass tone but in places it loses sync.....maybe tighten that up......also the levels on the bass and vocal could use compression, a life saver for those of us that cant wait for technique to kick in......

is this still just a sm57 and fd4......if so you may wanna consider using the fd4 just as a preamp and recording into the computer.....you could get more tracks (not always better), and there are tons on free plugins out there that could really help you mix these things better.....

still for what you are using and considering you are a drummer, this is good stuff

hey..thinks for all the great feedback...i will keep everything in mind when i do my next recording

everything is greatly appreciated

i like the bass tone but in places it loses sync

:) thats when i realized i played the drum part too fast..i could not keep up on bass...my strumming hand was screaming when i was done

is this still just a sm57 and fd4......if so you may wanna consider using the fd4 just as a preamp and recording into the computer.....you could get more tracks (not always better), and there are tons on free plugins out there that could really help you mix these things better.....

yes it is..and i have considered using it as a preamp for the computer...i will keep this in mind

thanks for your comments gidge

Ditto what the others said. Decent song, needs some work, even though you dont have much gear.

thanks davidk...hearing that you folks think the song is decent is very encouraging to me

I'm hearing a lot of distortion in the vocals in certain spots, and it also sounds very mono.. Did you have a Tremolo effect on the guitar?

the distortion might just by my crappy vocals...:p

as for the mono thing...i am guessin i lose the sereo when i take the setreo out on the recorder and record it on my computer with just an 1/8 inch plug?

unless there is away around this?

thanks Sabbath, for your encouraging words

don't change much. just stick with this and keep writing music. if you start buying things, it's and endless road to nowhere but broke!

thank you erichenryus...i hear you on that...right now i am thinking i could record these a lot better if i had a 16 track..that way i wont have to bounce before i do the final mix..but that will be years down the road...and there is another side of me that just thinks...i should just work on my performances...and hopefully i will be a hell of a lot better when i can afford some more equipment

cool rythym ...the mix needs work...but so do the pipes under my house we'll just see which gets done first!!!..lol...i like the "underground" feel i know it wasnt intentional but a product of the mix..HOWEVER it would work with a bit of tinkering and still keep the "raw" feel to this....

thank you jamal for your kind words as well

seeing that you people think its a decent song means a lot to me...gives me confidence to proceed further...or at least try to :)

maybe i should just form a band to help me out with the recordings and such

again...i appreciate all of your comments...

i am about to upload the song i recorded last night...i think it maybe my best yet as far as performance wise...it sort of my pride and joy as far as song writing...i mean it does not have great lyrics or even great music but for an overall package i like it a lot

oh well...i will just post it when i u/p it

thanks again

I like the ideas you have. It's a bit loose, and the vocals seem to be up and down in the mix. It's tough when all you have is four tracks. I'm sad with my eight! Keep working at it!!

You've got the energy! Don't sweat the cheap gear thing. Just do the best you can with what you've got. No matter how good your gear is, there's always something better!:eek:

Skill comes from experience. Rock on!:cool:

Back