Another blues guitar song

jimistone

long standing member
This is a song that my drummer (and colaborator) and I wrote, cause we're both crazy about blues guitar. It would have been better if we had of had someone that could actually sing blues...but I did the best I could.

I did a fast shuffle version of this in Freshears studio a couple of years ago but I think slow blues fits the song better.

2 blue for you

Vocals

sounds almost like Greg Allman dropped in while you were playin.
I don't think you have to worry about the vocals.
The guitar work is SWEET all the way through.
The mix is pretty good all together.
And piano too............WOW

So why didn't I hear about this band when I lived in Columbus??? Dammmmmnnnnnn this is nice. Those vocals are perfect. I've got headphones on right now so figure the mix comments accordingly. To me there's a little too much low-end that's crowding the piano. The drums seem to be lending the most to that effect. But other than that everything else is right where it should be. Cool tones - excellent vocals - wondrous guitar-speak and an all-around solid bluesey groove. I'll be back in a bit - right after a shot or two of JD. You got me inspired!! Nice stuff!!
~Milan

jimistone said:
This is a song that my drummer (and colaborator) and I wrote, cause we're both crazy about blues guitar. It would have been better if we had of had someone that could actually sing blues...but I did the best I could.

I did a fast shuffle version of this in Freshears studio a couple of years ago but I think slow blues fits the song better.

2 blue for you
Hot Damn! boy, I love this! Yeah this one has a way better feel to it mike, the other version still kicks ass too tho...but this is the one ;). Gotta burn a copy of this where I can listen on some better speakers.
It would have been better if we had of had someone that could actually sing blues...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: ...give me a freakin' break:rolleyes: you have a fantastic blues voice man imo. Hey let me know if you need some space to post some more stuff...I got plenty space if ya need it. Great tune bro..keep posting!

p.s...was that "Donnie" I heard say something in the middle of this:D tell that soul brutha i'm comming to see him soon!

man, if you really love the blues guitar....then turn that thing up! it too low in the mix. The bass line and piano are burying it. Really nice playing though! And your singing is just fine! Loved the song!
Jason

:cool: Very Cool Blues! Very good playing all around and the mix is good. I too think the Geetar needs to come up though.

CR ><>

thanks so much for the kind words guys. :)

Ayx4yahweh) I have a tendency to mix the guitar too hot in the mix (guitar players always do).....so, I made it a point not to make that mistake this time. Maybe I had it toned down too much though.

jasonbird) I screwed up when we were cutting the tracks and erased 22 seconds out of drums on the begining of the song.....so I just erased the intro and started the song from the thurnaround.

I burnt 3 CD's last night trying to burn a CD that would not have the 22 seconds of blank space at the begining of the song. I may have to actually read the D1600 manual this time to figure out how to do that :(
anyway, I hade to do a "song clip" in musicmatch jukebox to get that blank space out of there. In doing that I had to subtract 22 seconds from the overall time of the song and then take the minutes and multiply them times 60 to get the total seconds...ect...ect (you get the idea)
and I missed it by a couple of seconds...sorry

mrGitarz, glad you enjoyed the tune....im in Columbus almost every week.

Freshears) hey David, How do you like the tone on the guitar solo?
Its my '66 strat into cheap ass $250 peavey solid state amp (thats supposed to sound like shit)...miced with a Studio Projects C-1...going into a joe meek pre.

I got a fender hot rod deville since then and I have done better solos but I never could get a tone I liked better than the original set-up I just mentioned.

Its my '66 strat into cheap ass $250 peavey solid state amp
:eek: :) ok, hell i'll buy into half of that..but great player's like yourself can make anything sound damn good. That amp does sound really good though. I still got the first tracks to this...you don't need'em now do you?:D

Authentic blues... makes me want to go grab a beer. The recording is good but the thing that stands out is that the band really know how to play. Hmm cant find anything wrong with this. Soloing is nice... During the recording sombody just speaks out and says "thats right" Good idea Id keep it!

Very nice sounds like you know what your doing.

Jimi....give me a friggin break. You state it would be better to find someone else to sing the blues? You are IN the zone and you got the vibe, my friend. :D Now, do me a favor. You have at your disposal a decent keyboardist, although he loves improvising with repetitive TRIPLET chordal progressions in that main solo that got old for me quick. Now, this boy heeya' be needin' a REAL keyboard that doesn't sound like the shi-tay Roland that this Korean guy was playing at my wedding by the Viennese table and coffee. ;) (Note, Bluebear just told me on a critique that my Kurzweil keys sounded "plastic" LOL :rolleyes: I disagree...he he he )
Seriously, the sound "quality" of the keys are really poor, most markedly when "undressed" without the cover of the other fine performers, kills this kickass cut. Yes, the bass and the bass drum need to be cut back. The guitar solo starting at 1:30 suffers mildly from anemia, but the heart is there. Needs be more "busy" in the "melodic, storytelling" vein. Overall, kickass, great vibe, nice chamber off that vocal, great vocal performance...sleezy, gritty, schmarmy, etc. Keep em' coming. ---Lee

P.S. Hey Jimi. Please PM me. I've got something for you. You have NOT been answering your mail from "other" places, but I will forgive you. ;)

Lee) in all fairness to the keyboard player is 18 years old and in a gospel group that I am recording (he is not really into blues either). I asked him if he would lay down a keyboard part on this song real quick before their recording session. He listened to one verse of the song and I rewinded and hit "record". So, I can honestly say that he had not even listened to the song one time before this take....thats why he was improvising alot. He does nee a better keyboard I agree. On things he knows and has rehersed, he is very good.
As far as the excessive triplets. Donnie (the drummer) kept saying "tickle the keys man, tickle the keys" the whole time he was tracking this song (that he was hearing AND recording for the 1st time).
He said he could do alot better part but the rest of his band had arrived by the time he put this part down and we quit and started on their stuff.

Thanks for the boat of confidence on my vocals guys, I guess I do OK as long as I stay in the lower range. I have very limited vocal range and no falsetta voice whatsoever. A blues singer without a falsetta voice is like a weak mixed drink...you can still get drunk but its weak and not as satisfying.

thanks for taking the time to listen everyone.

jimistone said:

Thanks for the boat of confidence on my vocals guys, I guess I do OK as long as I stay in the lower range. I have very limited vocal range and no falsetta voice whatsoever. A blues singer without a falsetta voice is like a weak mixed drink...you can still get drunk but its weak and not as satisfying.

i think you're being too hard on yourself. you sound very good just like that.

Cool blues!

Drums could use a bit of "space", and the snare is a bit tubby sounding.

Guitar tone is kinda "flat", but your riffin' makes up for it. ;)

Who told you you can't sing the blues? :D

Back