Amiga - New VHS original glitch punk (Live)

Your link is taking me to some kind of promo page for your record. Could you post a direct link to the audio?

The cymbals seem a bit blaring and too much at times. I think they just need to be toned down a little if possible. Another thing is that all I'm really hearing is drums and singing. Occasionally some kind of keys or something...

I like the song and the overall sound of your band. This was a rocking performance with a lot of spirit and energy. Your vocalist is pretty good. Occasional bum notes, but not a big deal in a live performance. The best thing about the recording is that you tracked her vocals pretty clearly. Otherwise, recording seems excessively bright. You captured lots (and lots) of cymbals but not enough kick or snare. The melodic instruments are low in the mix and don't have much umph to them, which leaves her voice exposed.

What you're going to be able to do with this mix depends on how many mics you used in recording, how well you isolated them, how many tracks you captured, and therefore how much control you have over the individual parts. If possible, I'd work on creating more body and low end, and dial those cymbals way back. Of course, if they have bled into the vocal mic, you might be stuck with it. The joys of live recording...!

I thought the vocals were pretty well recorded. Performances were all real good.

The immediate thing that stood out to me was that the mix was extremely narrow.

The overheads are out in front a bit. The snare is a bit thin and flappy. Kick is decent for a live recording.

The synth that runs those scales sounds a little bit muffled. Don't know if maybe a high end boost would help or not. might be worth trying out.

You could probably pull down the female vocal just a nudge. She's a bit louder than the male.

The "bass synth" is kind of back in the mix. It doesn't have quite enough low end "umph."

Just to add, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to overdub some accompaniment to fill out the sound. Not very punk of me, I know!

It does sound all up the middle with something cymbolic popping out way over on the left.
Since it seems so centred it also sounds dense and a little muddy.
The bass guitar could use a little bass.
Performances are good though.

Music sounds awesome but the recording, man that is rough lol. Any chance you'll be doing another show sometime soon?

The cymbals seem a bit blaring and too much at times. I think they just need to be toned down a little if possible. Another thing is that all I'm really hearing is drums and singing. Occasionally some kind of keys or something...

Thanks, Phil. I'll try bumping everything else up (hopefully without getting too muddy)

I like the song and the overall sound of your band. This was a rocking performance with a lot of spirit and energy. Your vocalist is pretty good. Occasional bum notes, but not a big deal in a live performance. The best thing about the recording is that you tracked her vocals pretty clearly. Otherwise, recording seems excessively bright. You captured lots (and lots) of cymbals but not enough kick or snare. The melodic instruments are low in the mix and don't have much umph to them, which leaves her voice exposed.

What you're going to be able to do with this mix depends on how many mics you used in recording, how well you isolated them, how many tracks you captured, and therefore how much control you have over the individual parts. If possible, I'd work on creating more body and low end, and dial those cymbals way back. Of course, if they have bled into the vocal mic, you might be stuck with it. The joys of live recording...!

Kick has pretty good isolation, so I can bump that up to my heart's content. The rest of the kit was captured with a snare mic. I can isolate the snare a little. I'll see if I can get it louder.

(Besides that, I have the synthesizer and synth drums recorded directly to track from the PC that made them, The two isolated vocals (with tons of bleed), and a composite bass/guitar channel)

I thought the vocals were pretty well recorded. Performances were all real good.

The immediate thing that stood out to me was that the mix was extremely narrow.

The overheads are out in front a bit. The snare is a bit thin and flappy. Kick is decent for a live recording.

The synth that runs those scales sounds a little bit muffled. Don't know if maybe a high end boost would help or not. might be worth trying out.

You could probably pull down the female vocal just a nudge. She's a bit louder than the male.

The "bass synth" is kind of back in the mix. It doesn't have quite enough low end "umph."

I was wondering about the panning. Ok. I'll try to spread things out a bit. Thanks!

Just to add, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to overdub some accompaniment to fill out the sound. Not very punk of me, I know!

I'm using a bit of replacement (drums, the synth line), but no studio overdubs!

It does sound all up the middle with something cymbolic popping out way over on the left.
Since it seems so centred it also sounds dense and a little muddy.
The bass guitar could use a little bass.
Performances are good though.

+1 for more stereo spread. OK.
The "Bass" is the same channel as the guitar. I'll mess with the EQ some more, but it gets pretty muddy pretty fast.

easlern said:
Any chance you'll be doing another show soon?

Hopefully soon! I just upgraded that laptop to win10 tho, so I don't know if my system works anymore!

Is this your band VHS? I like the lead vocalist and the backing vox are good too. The tune itself is pretty cool, but it's kinda hard to hear the instruments. Mixing live stuff is a real bear. Do you have separate tracks, or just a stereo feed? More tracks will give you more options but if all you've got is stereo, you won't get it much better than this

Yeah, It's my band with my buddies Erica and Chance doing guest vocals and drums respectively.

The full track list is:
Kick drum
Snare drum/OH
Bass/guitar (compiled into one track)
Synth drums (direct capture from PC)
Synthesizer (direct capture)
Erica vox
Me vox

And then the room mic (camera), but that's just the audience noise at the start and end.

Back