Amazing 15 year Old Rock Band!

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
This is a track I recorded for my son's band. These kid's were 15-16 years old when they did this 2 1/2 years ago. They are actually much better now, which scares me a little! The recording was done in an 18x 22 room, bass, drums, and guitars recorded live. Vocal overdubs. Drums were recorded with a Shure beta kick mic, SM57 on the snare and a 4033 for overheads. Guitars were recorded with a SM58 and an Electrovoice pl 15, I think ( I threw the mic out a few months ago! doh.). Vocals were done with a 4033 through a Tube MP and a MicroLimiter.. Recorded to blackface ADAT's. Mixed on a Yamaha ProMix1.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1522/singles.shtml

Considering the limitations involved (this was their first studio experience) I thought they came up with some great stuff. Considering that I am not set up to do full bands, I was pleased. All limitations fall on the shoulders of the engineer! (me)I had all kinds of wacky things rigged to get all the tracks down. It was standing room only in this room, believe me! Let me know what ya think of this.

cool tune..

I was thinking that the reverb was a bit much at times (on the drums), and the vocals were a bit too in front of the rhythm guitar IMOP.. Decent tune though...15 years old? wow! I dont sound as good as these kids and I'm 30! I think the mix needs some 'sparkle' as they say..

Overall it was cool though.. Nice moving tune, and it sounded good for the most part..

later

B

Hmm, interesting...

the guitar work is not bad at all...

At first the guitars/song reminded me a lot of U2's first album.

And they are probably two years or so ahead of where U2 was, competency wise.

For 15 yeah, this song is really good.....what are they up to now? I'd like to hear some new stuff.

I think you have to be 15 to shred that guitar like that :)
I bet they won't be able to do it now :D

Very solid/tight playing (accept may be the lead). It would be
interesting to see them rerecord it now and see how they improved.

Hard to coment on the mix as it sounds fine the way it is though I would do things differently so it's too subjective. Anyway sounds like good clean recording.

nice song, pretty impressive for 15 year olds... :)

I would suggest that you can bring up the rhythm guitars and drums.... right now the vocal is a bit too up front.

Back