Alt Rock Song (Recorded and mixed by myself).

CMolena

Hey guys.

I recorded this tune all by myself (played every instrument) at home.

The drums were recorded in my laundry, haha, and I recorded it using a single mic (tchad blake method).

The rest of the song was recorded in my room.

So, I want to know what you guys think about it and maybe give me some useful tips :guitar::guitar::guitar:

Thanks.

View attachment 93832

How did you record the guitars and how do have them mixed? Sounds like they are all down the center

Actually I recorded 3 guitar tracks, two of em panned hard right and left and one down the center.

Cool song dude, a bit Weezer-ish. I like this.

Overheads and HH need EQ and HPF. I'd move the guitar that is down the center to somewhere around 75% on one side and do another take for the other side, same spot for 4 total. Harmonies can come up a bit. Drums need a lot of work, particularly the higher frequencies.

Good melody, structure, and composition (things like the roll at 1:42, you have good thoughts and ideas). I like this a lot - would love to hear a real polished mix. Nice work

I would love to put a HPF on the HH and Overheads, haha, but the day I recorded this I decided to use only one mic. And I usually dont like to edit the drums a lot, just a little EQ and compression (actually I used a lot of compression in this one due to the single mic).

But thanks, andrushkiwt.

I agree it reminds me of Weezer and maybe Dinosaur Jr (i.e. Tarpit, specifically the drums and chord progression). It sounds good as is, so I don't see a need to polish it up. The only suggestion I'd have is maybe layering some more guitar (a lead maybe?) at the end; I want to hear more "wall of sound" at the end and some high end that isn't cymbals. But that's nit picking.

Agree that it has a Weezer feel to it. I like the dynamics to it.

The "almost clean" guitar in the intro and transitions was a little harsh sounding. Maybe try a notch cut somewhere between 2300hz and 2700hz.

There is quite a bit of use of reverb. I think it's kind of mucking things up a little.

Little timing issue around 1:53. One at 1:16 too.

The kick is really coming through loud and it seems kind of cloudy. Maybe cut some low midrange like 300hz - 600hz.

The bass is a little boomy. Like a uncontrolled frequency in the 80hz - 120hz range.

Double tracked lead vocals would work well on this.

Really like this song but the high end is really brittle on the guitars and cymbals. Not sure but some high eq adjustment on the amp or in the DAW maybe. I see you're upping the vocals a bit more now which sound soooo much better. :D

I recorded using a Fender in a Fender Blues Jr, so I guess this is why the guitar is really harsh sounding, haha. Something to keep in mind when placing the mic...as well as when I mixing.

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys.

I think it's a cool tune. Good melodies and I think you have a really good voice.

Not much to add that hasn't been said. TripleM hit on everything that was standing out to me. Just wanted to chime in to say that I think it's a good song and it's certainly worth putting some more time into the mix.

Can you go back and re-record the drums with multiple mics? Having them all centered (and the cymbals are hissy) gives it a strange feel to my ears.

nice song ! great vocals,real nice harmony parts :)

sounds like you captured the guitar verb at source,next time try and get rid of it and add it later ... that will help clean your mixes up bigtime ...

gotta say im impressed with what you've done with what you've got,you can have the best recording setup ever but without a great song it means nothing ...

pretty darned sure when the budget allows for more gear your gonna make great use of it,keep making great songs :)

Back