Alt. Rock recording with female vox, hand drums, drums, acoustic + electric guitars

dreamsound2

We did this song not too long ago at my place. I found the end result pretty interesting with hand drums and v-drums (BFD 1.5 + Deluxe). Little eq on her vox and mainly played with the mic positioning and settings to get a good room tone.

Anyways, let me know what you all think:

http://digitalmusicians.net/?p=181

As for eq settings, I can't really give an opinion because the headphones I'm using I just put on for the first time a couple minutes ago, and I don't know their sound yet.

As far as reverb/acoustics go, it sounds like you recorded the acoustic guitar from too far away in a room with poor acoustics. Same with the vocals.

Electric guitars sound a little "cheap" to me (not that this means you used cheap instruments, but I think it needs some experimenting with mic positions). The drums don't fit the rest of the song that well, because they sound too good for the rest of the instruments.

The panning of the electric guitars feels a little to extreme for me too. With certain arrangements and styles, 100% panning works, but for this song, I don't feel that it does.

I am not saying that it's bad, because it's not. If you are anything like me, you will work on this mix for a long time, think it sounds as good as it ever will, then go back in a couple years and really notice what the issues are, then just re-record the whole thing. I'd say you're definitely on the right track. The more practice you get, the more easy it is to hear what makes a song sound "not professional."

Back