Alt-country song for review

nuemes

Be Here Now
You know, it's embarrassing to post this song for review compared to some of the excellent recordings posted in this forum. My excuse is that it was recorded on one ADAT with a Mackie 1202 and everything was done by one sloppy musician :)

http://www.myspace.com/nuemes

My main concern is that the vocal is clear and easy to understand. Also, the over-all bass of the recording seems particularly problematic to me but this is the best I've been able to manage given the quality of the instruments available - or maybe I've missed something? Anywho, please offer whatever comes to mind. Thank you!

VOCAL: Blue Baby Bottle > Avalon M5 > Ensoniq DP4 (compression & gate)
ACOUSTIC GUITAR: Taylor Big Baby > C414 > Avalon M5 > Ensoniq DP4
ELECTRIC GUITAR: Ibanez AS200 & Squire Strat > Fender Twin > AKG C414 > Ensoniq DP4
KEYBOARD: Korg X2 > Avalon M5 > Joe Meek MC2
BASS: Danelectro Longhorn > PodXT > Rane EQ > Joe Meek MC2
DRUMS: Roland V Club Kit > Mackie 1202VLZ
MIXDOWN: ADAT > Mackie 1202 > Joe Meek MC2 > Philips CD Burner.

Monitors are M-Audio BX5's and Sony home stereo :(

TravisinFlorida said:
cool tune, but what's with the distortion?

Where are you hearing distortion - in the bass frequencies? If so I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Either the bass guitar has muddy tone or I haven't figured out how to capture good tone with it between the bass & ADAT yet. If you have any advice given the equipment listed for getting better bass tone please jump in; I'm loosing it over that.

Regarding BrightEyes, I saw them (the one guy) open for an artist at SF Noise Pop Festival a few years ago and I disliked his songs - heavily. Funny that it reminds you of him(!)

I hear it especially on the cymbals/hi-hats and I think on the vocals.......it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from but it's throughout the whole track. maybe i'm having issues with my pc today but I don't think I am.....been listening to music all day.

TravisinFlorida said:
I hear it especially on the cymbals/hi-hats and I think on the vocals.......it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from but it's throughout the whole track.
The cymbals & hi-hats are digital from the Roland TD-6; I hear that too. Kind of nasty sounding. For the vocals the Baby Bottle mic has a lot of midrange; maybe that's coming off as distortion - or maybe the processing of the vocal is creating it(?) I'll work on those. Thanks for the feedback!

nuemes said:
Where are you hearing distortion - in the bass frequencies? If so I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Either the bass guitar has muddy tone or I haven't figured out how to capture good tone with it between the bass & ADAT yet. If you have any advice given the equipment listed for getting better bass tone please jump in; I'm loosing it over that.

Regarding BrightEyes, I saw them (the one guy) open for an artist at SF Noise Pop Festival a few years ago and I disliked his songs - heavily. Funny that it reminds you of him(!)

That is funny. I hear little bits that remind me of it throughout the song ... but the last line is what really sticks out. The lyric and the way you sang it really reminded me of that Connor guy.

famous beagle said:
That is funny. I hear little bits that remind me of it throughout the song ... but the last line is what really sticks out. The lyric and the way you sang it really reminded me of that Connor guy.

That is so strange! I'll check out his new album - maybe I just didn't get it when I first heard him.

Hey, nice song man. I'm a fan of alt-country, so I dug it. You definitely have a Bright Eyes thing going on with your voice.

Nothing really wrong with it, as far as personal preference maybe do something a little different with vocals, mix them lower, sing farther back from the mic...not sure. The vocal sound just doesn't match the sound of the rest of the song in my opinion. Overall really nice job though.

nuemes said:
That is so strange! I'll check out his new album - maybe I just didn't get it when I first heard him.

The album it reminds me of is "Lifted, or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ears to the Ground." (or something like that!)

this sounds really nice! i'm liking all the sounds...everything sounds great to me. the only thing i might mention is it's almost as if the singer (you?) might be straining to go as low as the vocals are in parts. is that possible or am i nuts. it sounds great. plus, i like any tune with profanity, so well done.

Back