Alright...

jamesduysen

Hey guys,

My band is just finishing up tracking some of our demos. I have a lot of mixing to do but I was wondering what you all thought of this first one that we just tracked (still needs worked over a bit).

It's called alright.

Tell me what you think and maybe give me some ideas on improving the overall product.

Thanks alot,

James

Holy cow.. that's pretty impressive. Not bad. Vocals need work I think.. sometimes they jump out, and sometimes they're under everything and you can't hear em.

Thanks....

Yea, the vocals are cut and paste from several different takes...Ill have to work on levels.

thanks,

-jD

Updated mix.

Hey guys,

Just updated the mix for this one a little. Id really appreciate some feedback. Even if you just want to tell me to stfu! (im soo lonely) JK ;). Anyway here is the updated mix for my song Alright.

Thanks for taking the time,

-jD

I have a m-audio projectmix mostly shure SM mics and a beta 52 kick mic...thats what i use on the bass...along with a fender bassman.

So I commented on all the mixes on the first page...How bout some love?
HAHA. you dont have to if you don't want to i guess.

Thanks,

-jD

I was halfway through the first mix when I saw your post for the second mix. The vocals are alot better in the second, but I liked the drums louder in the first mix (keep in mind who's typing this, though). Great pop song. I can see this tune working better a few BPM's slower. It sounds like the drummer having trouble with the tempo a little bit. Love the guitars, though.
Good power pop/rock/punk. :)

Thanks rami,

I brought the drums up in my newest mix. We actually accidently did our scratch tracks too fast to begin with and by the time we realized it was to late!:( I appreciate you taking the time man.

-jD

Very good power pop.
This genre seems to be getting a new lease on life which is great in my book.
The guitar tone in that 1st little bar or so of solo guitar needs a little tone lift to make it stand alone a bit better.
Bass tone is nice'n'tight.
Top drop.

wow, verry chrisp, I agree with the vocals, it needs some level adjustment
the intro fade is a good Idea, but I feel it takes away from the sound, so I would have it go right into the full volume. the sound of evrything is good, I think it's just levels that need adjusting, right now it almost sounds as if evrything is trying to go to the front at once, I would pull back the guitar and drums a bit to let the vox come out a bit better. just my opinion

EDIT: whoa, there's more post's.. my computer only loaded up the first 2.. sorry if this post might sound a bit out of place..)

as everyone else has pointed out, the mix needs work, but the recording itself is damn impressive!!! how are you miking the drums--close or whole kit? the sound is great, although i'd just like to see a little more volume on the snare and a little more definition on the kick. but hey, it still sounds a million times better than my drum setup...great job dude!

Hey guys thanks for the listen. I dont know if you listened to the first link or the second. I am not seeing an edit button on my UI so I cant change the link. The second mix sounds better and my most recent mix addresses most of your concerns.

Thanks again!

-jD

I would definitely add some distortion and parallel compression to the drums. Maybe compress the rooms more..they just lack that energy the song needs.

I am not sure how you tracked the guitars, but I would have tracked more of them. They sound a little thin to me.

one thing I like in guitars is 800hz. Ilike the bass to poke out at 700hz. When you are tracking guitars in..put an aanlyzer on there and look to see if you are Eqing the amp right and getting some 800 in there. Once you can hear what im saying, you will not need the analyzer anymore.

I would also have compressed the vocals more and distorted them a little. When I say distort..it's kind of subtle..like I make a stereo buss with a distortion pulg on it and send almost everything to it in smaller increments. I also make a buss with a compressor set to take off a fair amount of db and send everythng to that too..try that out. I think you will notice your song will have more energy to it. I think for this song, you will want that because it is rockin. :)

Back