Almost there.....maybe....have a listen!!!

Are you seriously getting songs mastered one at a time? Do you know that mastering is the art of making an album of songs sound good in context to each other? It's setting up a track order and making the songs flow together.
Mastering a single is just throwing money away on fancy post mixing processing.

Mix: Those guitars are a bit edgy and processed sounding. Lemme guess amplitube? I would bring that vocal up a whole lot and take the edgy guitars down a bit. The kick is getting lost in the heavy parts and the snare is really lacking life.

So...drums up, guitars down, vocals up and bass compress to hell, and for the love of rock take the 4k click on the kick down and give it some lowmid meat.

lol....this is only one song from the album that is ready for mastering. They are all in the same vain.

Thanks for your feedback. The guitars come from me using Boss Metal Zone pedal (which I won't use again)....

Otherwise.....the rest is just the limitations of a home studio...or just my limitations....but thanks for listening. I'll try and put your suggestions into play.
Thanks again.
lee.

jake-owa said:
Ok, that makes more sense.

You may be suprised how many people "master" single tunes.

Well hang on a minute there Jake. I mean if you had a song that you'd done and mixed, that you thought was OK, and knew that your gear and your room and your skills weren't up to applying the final touches of overall EQ and dynamics, and you spent a bit of money on taking it to a mastering guy, both so you could listen to how he polished it and learnt a bit - what's wrong with that?

Reactions: NL5
It's a waste of money that's all. Nothing wrong with wasting money, people do it all the time.
If you are not mixing well enough to make it a listenable tune in your room take it to a tracking/mix room that is worth the song, not a master house who is probably gonna tell you to remix anyhow if they have any integrity. Fixing the problems with glitter is not the right way.

It's not mastering if it's one tune, it's post mix processing.

DLing the tune now...sorry for the distraction.

Last edited:
Ok, right at 10 seconds where everyting comes in...the cut of the guitars and cymbals seems fake...too abrupt. I am not hearing an natural attack to the instruments. Is there an edit or envelope there?

Ok, those crunchy guitars still need some help. I am hearing too much garbage in the high frequencies, I would try to roll them off a bit above 8k and maybe boost a bit of the 200hz area and turn em back a bit more to compensate for any boosting. These really need some taming to keep the mix open. Thick is great but it should be a result of everything coming together and not one instrument swamping the mix the way these are.

Is it just me or is there a lot more bass frequency in the right speaker?

The vocal is better but the kick still needs some mid-low meat to my ears. Nothing too deep, a tiny bump of 160 to 220 would probably help a lot.

I'll check, I'm not sure if I cut the instruments at that point, but I may have to some degree.....!

I know what you mean about the guitars though....I'll have another play with them, I'll also play with the kick a little more.

Thanks for your input....extremely valuable.....

I'll post another mix if I can get it any better.

Lee.

I agree with Jake's comments - the guitars are a bit buzzy and harsh in the high frequencies and the vocals can use a boost. But dude, it sounds good, you've done a nice job here. The drums and bass sound great and the song is very good. Make some subtle tweaks and I think you've got a winner.

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm working on the guitar sound a little more. I plan on treating the high frequencies, the guitar tracks also have a little reverb on them. Is there anything else I could do...or do you think that's probably all I can at this point?
Thanks again
Lee.

Back