"Allan's Resolve" (rock instrumental)

GONZO-X

"Allan's Resolve" (rock instrumental)

BB10-allan's resolve by bats brew on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

this is the last song off my newly minted album, "The Time is Magic"

this was inspired by allan holdsworth, and his 'resolve' to stay true to his guns, and make his music without compromise.
i knicked one lick (from an old UK song) and snuck it in there, just for pure plagairistic purposes.
:)

i had another studio guy in the DFW area, capture the drum performance by Brent Dacus, really talented drummer that does gig stew out there..
i had a demo sent out, and he played along with it...
then they sent me the drum tracks, and i played along with those, building the track up from scratch.

USACG custom strat #2
strat1lv4.jpg

i had just built this strat, and this is the 2nd thing i recorded with it.
used it for all the parts, just to see how far i could stretch tones on one instrument.

tonemachine.jpg

all guitars thru a '81 mesa mark2b head, into a Avatar 1x12 with celestion heritage g12H-55.
various mics on different parts, i had sm57's, adk hamburg, at4033, and shure ksm44...
running into a A Designs Audio MP-1 mic pre, into a dbx compressor, into a soundcard, mixed in sonar.

Where can I buy that album? And are you releasing it in physical form? I love to actually have the disc and what not.

Your stuff just blows me away...

That's cool. I'm not much of a fan of instrumentals generally but this was interesting throughout. Your usual impeccable playing!

rayc

thanks man, glad you listened to it anyway....
i try to do my instrumentals in such a way, that even a casual listener has something to grab onto.....

i DO have some wild-ass instrumentals, but typically, i do those for myself, they're just 'learning' pieces, and i never post them.

jimmy..

heheh
thanks for that.

well, if you like it, you might suggest 'doing more like this'

or

'i like the instrumentals better than the songs'

or

'i haven't heard any of the songs off the album yet, maybe if they're as good as the instrumental, they might be just different enough to wanna get into it'

or sumptin.
:D

Crazy good guitar and bass playing there, buddy. One thing I noticed that I didn't like at all were the drums, sadly. Both sound-wise and mix-wise. They are mixed very centered. Seems claustrophobic to me. Your cymbals sound a bit tinny and brittle. The snare is too buried, and your hi-hat is mixed as high as your snare - maybe even a bit higher. They're also occupying the exact same space. When you've got your side-stick, action going on, it seems as though the snare and the hihat are in constant competition. Gotta fix that. The drummer is awesome. Performance-wise, it's right on par with everything else, but the sound and mix of the drums seems a bit off to me.

Yeah... Other than that, this is awesome work.

Thanks for sharing!

WOW! I love the guitar work. I agree with PoeticIntesity That the drums need a little TLC. Never the less...This is great!

poetic
thanks for listening, i appreciate it

drums, i didn't engineer, so i had to use them as they came to me.
spreading the overheads out, seems to wash out the body of the drums, but it's not a phase issue..
i experimented quite a bit, even did some psuedo-stereo tricks, but they all sounded off to me...
ultimately, i thought the drums sounded better more centered.
agree about the cymbals, i think the engineer ran them either too hot into the preamp, or compressed them wrong.
but, i kinda like how the drums sound more 'real' than, say, the really nice samples i trigger with Superior Drummer.

let's rock
thanks for checking it out, appreciate it

the solo tone, was recorded with a AT4033, off my Roland closed back 1x12 with a celestion g12 in it, which i thought was a greenback.

two nights ago i did speaker swaps between my two main 1x12 cabs.

and while doing so, i learned that what i thought was a greenback in my old main cab, is actually a late 70's or early 80's british G12C-30, which is rare as hens teeth.

it is unique, in that it has a 1.25" voice coil, and a 20 oz. magnet that is ceramic.

these days, the only way you can get a G12c, is to buy a Marshall Hendrix or vintage modern cab.
they do not sell these anywhere, they are specially made for marshall.
and i never knew this, until yesterday.
i've had 2 of those speakers since 1985.

LOL

celestiong12c30.jpg

pretty crappy looking, eh?
i love the sound of this thing.

Crazy good playing sir as always. You got the nuetron finger dance down pat. I do agree on the drum comment. I could here a lot of hats and too little snare but what the hell.

track rat!
thanks for listening mike....
the room mics, unfortunately, i needed them loud enough to do the cymbal job, but they were not 100% phase correct, and it made it hard to dial in the drum mix.
as it is, bringing the overheads in tighter to center, took care of some of the issues, but brought up the hats too...
always a balancing act with these things. i didn't engineer the drums, only mixed what i had.

Nice guitar tracks man. Has the really big 80's prog rock feel to it. Kinda like old Bon Jovi or something. Personally I think the drums fit to this type of style. Kinda like the really raw and open "The Police" feel to it.

When we gonna do some collabs man?

hey ninja!

thanks for checking it out.....

80's prog, hm, i don't know, i kinda gave up prog after the 80's kicked in, so i don't know what that period really sounded like....
i heard the odd piece here and there, but it seems to me like it was all over the map!

i don't know, not going after any style at all, this one just set in my head for a long time, and came out like this.

collabs?

well, now that i'm done with the album, i might have some time to tweak some tunes....

Crazy good guitar and bass playing there, buddy. One thing I noticed that I didn't like at all were the drums, sadly. Both sound-wise and mix-wise. They are mixed very centered. Seems claustrophobic to me. Your cymbals sound a bit tinny and brittle. The snare is too buried, and your hi-hat is mixed as high as your snare - maybe even a bit higher. They're also occupying the exact same space. When you've got your side-stick, action going on, it seems as though the snare and the hihat are in constant competition. Gotta fix that. The drummer is awesome. Performance-wise, it's right on par with everything else, but the sound and mix of the drums seems a bit off to me.

Yeah... Other than that, this is awesome work.

Thanks for sharing!

I'd agree with that. Bring the snare slightly up - but I like the tone - spread out the overs and slightly reduce lows in the toms.

Otherwise, a truly fantastic perfomance, song, and mix, on all instruments. Great drummer, sounds 100% professional, and your guitar playing is superb.

I love Alan Holdsworth, and have many of his CDs, mainly from the IOU phase, but also more recent albums. My favourite is the IOU live in japan, with Chad Wackerman on drums. I didn't recognize the "plagiarized" lick though.

Back