All In My Head [Nu Metal/Hard Rock] Mix and Production feedback appreciated

STAT1STICK

I've been working on this song for quite a while now. I've never been able to get the mix where I know it could be. I just moved to Dallas and now that I have some free time, I decided to try again and see what I can do to make it sound better. I worked with the multiband compressor a lot to see if that would help. I think it did. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think of this mix. I'm also curious about what you think of the production. Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Sounds seriously like a pro mix. I little more up front on the vocal would do. Not that it needs more volume, but just clearer during the heavy guitar parts. Suck a little 1k out of the guitars and add a little to the voice and see where it takes you.
Really good tune.

Sounds seriously like a pro mix. I little more up front on the vocal would do. Not that it needs more volume, but just clearer during the heavy guitar parts. Suck a little 1k out of the guitars and add a little to the voice and see where it takes you.
Really good tune.

Thanks for listening! I'll work with that 1k and see what happens. You know, I posted this song here before and it wasn't liked very much but I'm almost positive that it was because of the multiband compressor. I had it smashing everything to bits and all of the tones weren't coming through. But I put a stop to that.

In fact, I did something with this mix that I swore I would never do... I mixed with headphones. But I went at it with a different approach. Instead of focusing on what the song sounded like through the headphones, I tried to remember what other music sounded like through them. You know, similar music. With that in my mind as a comparison, I reworked the song and the results really amazed me.

Again, thanks for listening. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

What's your vocal process here? A lot of it sounds kind of thin and buried, but at some points you're getting a weird warbling as if you've got a few different parts that aren't quite in phase. The held notes (which are also pretty pitchy, btw) on the chorus sound like you're singing into a desk fan.
Come the second verse, I can hear that there are multiple vocals going. I listened to the line "this nightmare's F-forcing me to" about a dozen times but couldn't make out for sure if you'd multi-tracked it or just cloned and delayed the original for sure.

The kick's hella clicky, but I presume that's intentional.

Otherwise, the guitars sound nice and beefy. Levels of the instruments sound pretty good relative to each other. kind of a cool tom tone.

What's your vocal process here? A lot of it sounds kind of thin and buried, but at some points you're getting a weird warbling as if you've got a few different parts that aren't quite in phase. The held notes (which are also pretty pitchy, btw) on the chorus sound like you're singing into a desk fan.
Come the second verse, I can hear that there are multiple vocals going. I listened to the line "this nightmare's F-forcing me to" about a dozen times but couldn't make out for sure if you'd multi-tracked it or just cloned and delayed the original for sure.

Otherwise, the guitars sound nice and beefy. Levels of the instruments sound pretty good relative to each other. kind of a cool tom tone.

The drums sound like the genre. I see what you mean about singing into a fan. Missed that when I listened at low volume. At points in the vocal there's almost an Ozzyish phasing going on. At low volume it just sounded like it needed some press, but I hear what yer sayin' It's still a nice mix.

Thanks for listening, Vomit. I tracked the vocals 3 times and they are all layered. I did this instead of using a chorus effect or a doubler because I like the sound of multiple tracks instead of a plug-in effect. I admit that I may or may not have been under the influence while performing them.

I am definitely aware of the pitch problems, too. Maybe some day I'll re-record them. I know they could be better. I did try to use an auto tune to fix some of the really bad pitch problems but I think it may be doing more harm than good. And I think that's where the warbling is coming from.

As for the thinness of the vocals, I think it has something to do with the compression I used on them. Since the vocals are pretty dynamic, I compressed them a lot to maintain an even level. But, like I said, I'll probably re-record them some day. But at the moment, I'm not set up for that kind of task.

As for the kick drum, I really wanted it to be clicky. Its what I was originally going for.

I liked this. Vocal sounds good. need to be brought up a little. I would add a vocal harmony in the verses ala Alice in chains. It would sound cool, but just not sure on which lyrics. great mix. Love the screams!

Something 'swishy' with the cymbals. That is where I hear the most harshness. My ears became quickly fatigued from these. The vocal has something going on there that has the same effect on my ears.

I like a good clicky kick, but it seems to me to be a bit metallic (not meaning Metallica!). Just a slight bit overboard. Kinda like two pieces of metal hitting together-if that makes sense. Just my opinion tho.

Other than those nits, I really like the tune. Tones and playing is great. :D

Ok, third listen, you gotta cut whatever that is that is boosting or effecting those harsh high frequencies. That has just killed my ears for the night listening at high volume...

The cymbals aren't too flash.
The kick sounds like an Ovaltine inner seal.
The vox remind me of old time HR chap Freud.
Lead tones are good and I like the synthy bits too.
Bass is appropriately mean & lean.

Back