all hail the Clowns

YellowDwarf

Dismember
Hey folks,

I'm having a great deal of pain mixing this song. There's alot going on in it and I'm not sure if I've gotten things right - you guys have never done me wrong, so here we go. One problem I have is that I'm a baritone and an off-key baritone at that - I wish I had VHS's voice - so it really interferes with the low end. Another is the middle bit in the song where the vox is spoken, am not happy with it and am looking for suggestions.

All help is helpful, as they say. Thanks for your help in advance,
Timbo

All Hail The Clowns by YellowDwarfBand | Yellow Dwarf Band | Free Listening on SoundCloud

all hail the Clowns = and their All-ameriCan Kids
ingrates and mistakes = you didn't hear it from me
all hail the Clowns = greasepaint on their cheeks
you can't dress up a Pig = with a conservative tie

C = all hail the Clowwwwwwwns

all hail the Sheep = they're All-ameriCan sheep
best that money can buy = owned by the Slaves
all hail the Sheep = they're just Goats on parole
rub lipstick on a Pig = and they still look like a Clown

C = all hail the Clowwwwwwwns

the Clowns carved up Heaven while we snuck beneath their Wall
their little whitefaced White children resemble Unpolished turds
they parade up and down Clown alley puffing on Cuban cigars
you know the Circus is back in town

Industrial!

I can hear what you're saying with the ranges interfering. "Clowwwwwwns" gets really buried when the chorus kicks in, but the higher one cuts through much better.

You've got a lot of build-up in the low mids, especially with all of the resonant effects. Some judicious EQ might help. Tack a -2dB bump somewhere in the 300-600Hz range somewhere in most of the FX chains, maybe?

I'm always happy to collaborate if you need additional vocals. (And by "always", I mean "starting in a week or so; my DAW is currently bricked")

Thanks Steve,

I'm going to give it a listen with your advice in mind. And thanks for the offer on vocals, I haven't collaborated in a few years.

Tim

Wow, Steve, great ears on ya!

I had a verb on a couple of things that I accidentally/or not hadn't eq'd ... there was an immediate difference. Which opened up a couple of other things, but don't they all, so I'll post a remix at some point, but thanks for pointing that out.

Tim

a dark song, I feel like the low end is pretty much missing, there should be more clarity with the bass guitar, the kick and bass guitar aren't working well together, it's an interesting industrial sound though, reminds me a bit of bowie outside.

Thanks for pointing that out Robus! :(

I've been working on a mix for the past week or so, it has replaced the original file on soundcloud. I appreciate the help from all of you who have listened.

Timbo

yeah...I think you have something cool here....but so much is walking on other stuff its hard to distinguish the parts. Some EQ/separation is needed. I would remove any plug-ins and start from a static mix then go from there.

yeah...I think you have something cool here....but so much is walking on other stuff its hard to distinguish the parts. Some EQ/separation is needed. I would remove any plug-ins and start from a static mix then go from there.
I think that's a good idea ...

I thought this had a real cool feel. Dark and creepy.

It kind of blows apart at 1:06 on the word "Clowns." Whatever you added there, I'd just remove it. It's clobbering the vocal.

There is not much of a low end.

I appreciate everyone's patience on this mix.

I've done my best on another mix, I think I've got it. I've brought the bass guitar up as loud as I like it. Part of the problem with the mix is the bass player (me) and the singer (me), but those parts can't be fixed.

Thanks again for your help as this has been a difficult one for me. I'm sure you guys could have done a better job on the mix side of this one so I appreciate what you've done.

All Hail The Clowns by YellowDwarfBand | Yellow Dwarf Band | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back