Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ALICE Says The Clouds Are Coming Down

Thanks

ALICE Says The Clouds Are Coming Down

Sign in to disable this ad
    The link goes to a 2012 recording of a song that Eric & I wrote in 1976. Eric supplied the 12 string, electric lead lines and vocals whilst I did the other guitars and bass.
    The vocals aren't strong and will need to be retracked and the drums are my old mid 80's Roland drum machine and could happily be replaced.
    Given the above how does the mix sound?
    Would female backing vocals be any good?
    Any commentary is most welcome.
    Version 2
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26003421/al...%2012%2012.mp3
    to download the 10mg file
    Version 2 too
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...ongID=12078602
    to play the soundclick streamer.
    VERSION 3
    streamer
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...=12081436&q=hi
    download
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26003421/al...R%20ideasB.mp3

ALICE
    Alice says the clouds are coming down
    They will wash the tears from your eyes
    But what will you do when I am gone?
    And the clouds are coming down
    What will you do when it’s all gone
    When your supply is finished?
    What went wrong?
    Alice says the clouds are coming down again
    A figure in the rain
    A life alone
    Thoughts like rain
    Fall on the ground
    I can’t find a light
    To illuminate your life
    Alice says the clouds are coming down.
    One ruined picture on the mantelpiece
    Cracked in glass and cracked in brain
    Splinters on the floor all that remain
    Walking on a misty night
    And stepping in my tears
    Waking on a moonless night
    And sleeping with my tears
    Thoughts of you are painful
    Bringing forth the rain of years
    The moon a globe reflecting light
    The light of life and love
    Eclipsed the moon no longer shines
    But I resist the cold caress
    Alice says the world is coming down
    Alice says the world is coming down
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rayc; 12-30-2012 at 22:07.

Thanks
    Ray, I'm wondering if any treatment has been applied to the track as a whole? My reason for asking is that pretty much everything has similar peak characteristic which is not helping the track to deliver some snappy dynamics. I like the song and the instrument arrangement and think that some smart panning and EQ to put a little more edge on the various takes would put the balls back into the performance. There is in some bars a low wallowing bass which seems to sit a little under the track. The overall impression is little like viewing the world with a pair of the wife's tights pulled over my head, which obviously needs to be thought of in the context of sound, by the way I don't often wear her tights that way. A lot of good stuff happening which is dying to come through in a more concise manner.

All the best

Tim
    Lyrical Pursuits
    www.phrasemaker.co.uk

Thanks
    Agree the vocals are a little buried,I like the 12 string, and the little flanging guitar that appears at times....would like to hear the bass guitar a bit more prominant as at times some cool lines are coming thru, and it might give the song a bit more swing....nice lyrics
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    I love the lyrics on this one ray. I assume you wrote them, right? They seem a little more straight-forward to me compared with some of your other tunes and I'd love to hear them sung with a little more authority. This sounds really timid and buried.

The mix sounds ok, particularly the guitars, but the bass is largely absent for me (it pops out on some runs and then recedes again). I don't mind drum machines, but this is so minimal and distant that I really don't think it's adding much.

I really like the song a lot, but I think you'll need new vocals and drums, then bring the bass up a bunch and see how it plays with new drums, then go from there. I hope to get to hear this evolve in the clinic...thanks.

Thanks
    This is not a happy song ray. Alice? I usually think "drugs" when I hear that name invoked...pop culture conditioning.
    I like the words and also think they're also a little less cryptic than your usual fare. Do I hear a little bit of a Go-Betweens influence?

Mixwise it could use some work here and there. It seems like there's a lot of instrumentation going on all the time and it gets a little soupy...Try, say, having one guitar part during one part of the song and another during a different part, rather than both running all the way through the song. I'm not talking about any two specific guitar parts, just saying that the instrumentation could be thinned out a little to give it some definition. Hope that makes sense.
    History has a way of deleting anachronisms. -PKD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrasemaker View Post
    Ray, I'm wondering if any treatment has been applied to the track as a whole? My reason for asking is that pretty much everything has similar peak characteristic which is not helping the track to deliver some snappy dynamics. I like the song and the instrument arrangement and think that some smart panning and EQ to put a little more edge on the various takes would put the balls back into the performance. There is in some bars a low wallowing bass which seems to sit a little under the track. The overall impression is little like viewing the world with a pair of the wife's tights pulled over my head, which obviously needs to be thought of in the context of sound, by the way I don't often wear her tights that way. A lot of good stuff happening which is dying to come through in a more concise manner.

All the best

Tim
    Hello Tim,
    I had a Limiter on it for volume as well as some reverb - it sounds much more open without them.
    I've brought the bass up a little and changed the compressor. I hope v2 is a little clearer. Thnaks for your thoughts - I've put most of them into practise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by queepy View Post
    Agree the vocals are a little buried,I like the 12 string, and the little flanging guitar that appears at times....would like to hear the bass guitar a bit more prominant as at times some cool lines are coming thru, and it might give the song a bit more swing....nice lyrics
    Queepy,
    The vox are a little buried as we were both a little nervous of them. Bass is up. The flanging bit is a preset on a Yamaha FX500 (mid 80;s) and is quite "space rock". Thanks for you thoughts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    I love the lyrics on this one ray. I assume you wrote them, right? They seem a little more straight-forward to me compared with some of your other tunes and I'd love to hear them sung with a little more authority. This sounds really timid and buried.

The mix sounds ok, particularly the guitars, but the bass is largely absent for me (it pops out on some runs and then recedes again). I don't mind drum machines, but this is so minimal and distant that I really don't think it's adding much.

I really like the song a lot, but I think you'll need new vocals and drums, then bring the bass up a bunch and see how it plays with new drums, then go from there. I hope to get to hear this evolve in the clinic...thanks.
    Heat,
    Yep my lyrics - old, old lyrics from when I was still 18. We're looking into rerecording the vox - possibly with fem bvox or even fem lead vox.
    Drums & bass are further UP in the mix this time. I'll do some investigation into replacing the drums. Thanks for your ideas.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_fleet View Post
    This is not a happy song ray. Alice? I usually think "drugs" when I hear that name invoked...pop culture conditioning.
    I like the words and also think they're also a little less cryptic than your usual fare. Do I hear a little bit of a Go-Betweens influence?

Mixwise it could use some work here and there. It seems like there's a lot of instrumentation going on all the time and it gets a little soupy...Try, say, having one guitar part during one part of the song and another during a different part, rather than both running all the way through the song. I'm not talking about any two specific guitar parts, just saying that the instrumentation could be thinned out a little to give it some definition. Hope that makes sense.
    FF,
    Pop Culture is pretty powerful - gets your towels fluffy too! The Gobies hadn't released anything in Sydney when this was written but I've certainly bought & played to death all their albums since so I think the translation is very likely in this reworking.
    I've cut some holes in the carpet so you can see the floorboards a bit on occasion. Let me know if it's too little or too much.

Thanks
    Dammit, I keep meaning to listen to this, but I keep forgetting, and then when I remember I'm not in a position to listen. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thread Information