ALICE Says The Clouds Are Coming Down

Manslick,
I put back the chucnk I'd cut from 100hz. Did it fill out the rump?
fall apart - yep that's me & my planned chaos.
I think this new mix is better. I hear things I did not hear before, a guitar lick at 1:20. The vox are much clearer. I like this ending better too.

The weakest point is the drums, obviously. The vocals are kind of bad too. They're really timid and small. Not performed very well. But besides all that....I think the mix is pretty good overall. The guitars and bass sound nice to me. Lots of tones and textures in the guitars. The vocals could be more out front, but it's probably best you leave em low until you get a real singer in there. Where's Joey? :D

Great lyrics RayC, but the standout for me is the vox lacks confidence and force. I need the vox to judge the rest.

Ray, that sounds heaps better, I get more of the arrangement with each subsequent listen. You might want to soften the attack of some of the bvox. It's a real Pandora,s box of sound, I keep finding little gems tucked into the mix, I also seem to remember doing a track with some clouds falling, great sense engagement when going along mentally with the lyric content. The notation of the various parts is combining to deliver some rich sounds now. The panning seems to work too, yep way better than the initial version I listened to.

All the best

Tim

Been meaning to listen to this for ages, but just not had time over the last few weeks. It's got a real new wave feel to it - I love that era of indie as at it's best it creates a real mood that resonates with me. I also like how there's always a balance between sugar and rawness (thinking about bands like the wedding present, echo and the bunnymen etc.) and I think that with retracking on the drums and vocals you could hit that sweet spot.

All the elements are there and the songs is good, just needs a little work. I don't think the vocals are too far off - they fit the song stylistically, just need to be a little stronger/more authoritative. If you want me to have a go at rebuilding the drums for you, let me know - they won't be real ones, but I think I could probably get something with a little more presence for you :)

The weakest point is the drums, obviously. The vocals are kind of bad too. They're really timid and small. Not performed very well. But besides all that....I think the mix is pretty good overall. The guitars and bass sound nice to me. Lots of tones and textures in the guitars. The vocals could be more out front, but it's probably best you leave em low until you get a real singer in there. Where's Joey? :D
hello Greg,
Yep, my usual poor system with my drum machine. I think that's likely to be addressed soon. Eric's vocals are a little timid - you're right. he hasn't yedelled in yonks. I'm sure he can get a better take with some more rehearsal. I think we'll maintain the current vox levels until then.Thanks for the comments re guitar & bass - you've been helping get some better tones together & it's beginning to pay off.
Joey's been very involved with teaching, Angels Fall & Scorfire for the last 12 months as you know. I do miss his tonsils.
Thanks for the comments.

Great lyrics RayC, but the standout for me is the vox lacks confidence and force. I need the vox to judge the rest.

Tobe,
The lyrics are from '75 or 76. No tweaking done strangely as anything from back then is usually just a line or few words that I rework heavily. THis one, being so different for me, I left alone.
Vocals, yeah, we understand & hope to do something more.
Thanks.

Ray, that sounds heaps better, I get more of the arrangement with each subsequent listen. You might want to soften the attack of some of the bvox. It's a real Pandora,s box of sound, I keep finding little gems tucked into the mix, I also seem to remember doing a track with some clouds falling, great sense engagement when going along mentally with the lyric content. The notation of the various parts is combining to deliver some rich sounds now. The panning seems to work too, yep way better than the initial version I listened to.

All the best

Tim
Thanks Tim,
I took some guidance to steer this away from where it was going (dense space rock was where it was headed in my head). There are a few layers to the recording - that's my usual M.O.: I record lots & then keep what seems to work and a few snippets here and there that can pop up.
I assume you mean attack on the bvox compressor - I'll work on that. Thanks mate.

Been meaning to listen to this for ages, but just not had time over the last few weeks. It's got a real new wave feel to it - I love that era of indie as at it's best it creates a real mood that resonates with me. I also like how there's always a balance between sugar and rawness (thinking about bands like the wedding present, echo and the bunnymen etc.) and I think that with retracking on the drums and vocals you could hit that sweet spot.

All the elements are there and the songs is good, just needs a little work. I don't think the vocals are too far off - they fit the song stylistically, just need to be a little stronger/more authoritative. If you want me to have a go at rebuilding the drums for you, let me know - they won't be real ones, but I think I could probably get something with a little more presence for you :)

Rob, thanks for your generous comments and offer. It's be nice to get this one over the line & support such as yours make that worthwhile.

Hey gents thanks for the kind comments re Alice. I don't pretend to be a vocalist LOL. I just try to throw something close to my vision for the tune in attempt to bring in some serious tonsil work. All kudos to Ray for his lyrics. Ray dah main man!

Queepy,
The vox are a little buried as we were both a little nervous of them. Bass is up. The flanging bit is a preset on a Yamaha FX500 (mid 80;s) and is quite "space rock". Thanks for you thoughts.

Hey Ray. I like the song, but as others have said, the vox and bass are a bit buried. You say above that you were nervous of the vox and that kind of comes across in the delivery - is this a stylistic choice? I'd like to hear you belt it out a bit more. I don't really listen to or understand lyrics, so wouldn't be bothered by what you're actually saying!

Back