Alice in Chains Cover: Opinions on Mix Wanted

hairmetalman

Hey fellas,

Just discovered this board/website, and wanted to get your opinions of a cover song I just finished up. Its Dam That River by Alice In Chains. Song was tracked via Acid Pro 4.0. Guitars went through a Pod 2.0 direct to the computer soundcard, which is a audiophile 2496. Bass is a cheap old Ephiphone bass recorded the same way. Drums are drum hits from the Drum Kit from Hell. I messed around with a 6 band waves EQ for a few of the tracks, as well as used a 6 band on the master overall track. The master EQ was to boost the 2000 Hz range by a couple DBs for a bit more mids. On the master track I added a bit of compression to get the sound a bit louder. Anyway, here's the track

Lemme know what you think

Matt

throw some vocals into that badboy!!

I think it sounded great...through my computer speakers

don't have my monitors at work :)

crash cymbals sound a little strange though

Sounds pretty good, though it's a bit empty. Guitars sound good but there isn't any life in them. Were they recorded direct. Drums have a weird sound too. Maybe because the mix is very empy. Crank that bass up a bit. There's also a weird beat near the beginning of the chorus. Missing a high hat hit or something and it sounds a little strange.

It's very clean though. I think turning the bass up would help a bit. Guitar playing is pretty good, and like the above poster, would definitely love to hear some vocals.

Yea the guitars were recorded direct. What do you mean by empty? Like lacking reverb? The drums probably sound wierd b/c they are samples and not a real drummer, so they tend to sound a little fake sometimes on runs and certain snare hits. I turned the bass up and reuploaded the song.

Matt

Out of all of the AIC albums Dirt has to be my favorite. Im not on my monitors so take these comments with a grain of salt.
-the drums are a little loud, its making the guitars alot smaller sounding than they probably are.
-It was mentioned above but going into the first verse there is a high-hat or cymbal beat missing, it sounds a little strange.

"Yea the guitars were recorded direct. What do you mean by empty"

I used a POD for a little while. It seemed to me that if you did a few tracks with the same preset ,things tended to get lifeless. Ultimately there is no substitute for a real amp interacting with a real mic in a room . If you have to use the pod adding some reverb to the tracks can help and if your using the "presets" try putting some mids back in. ALot of the presets seemed to be scooped in the mids in my experience. Just a thought.
Get some vocals and this would be rocking.

Thanks for the reply

I found what you guys were talking about after the first chorus. Missed a cymbal crash!!!!!! I also turned the drums down a bit and reuploaded it. I have a few reverb plug-ins, but whenever I use them, its either i can't hear the reverb effect at all, or i end up setting the reverb so you can barely hear the actual song and it ends up being reverb all over the place. Any tips on how reverb plugins work would be helpful! Also, I think I'm going to ditch the POD. I bought an ADA mp-1 a few days back, and if that turns out well, I'll be ditching the POD and going for a mic'ed ADA mp1(cab of course).

Matt

hairmetalman said:
Hey fellas,

Just discovered this board/website, and wanted to get your opinions of a cover song I just finished up. Its Dam That River by Alice In Chains. Song was tracked via Acid Pro 4.0. Guitars went through a Pod 2.0 direct to the computer soundcard, which is a audiophile 2496. Bass is a cheap old Ephiphone bass recorded the same way. Drums are drum hits from the Drum Kit from Hell. I messed around with a 6 band waves EQ for a few of the tracks, as well as used a 6 band on the master overall track. The master EQ was to boost the 2000 Hz range by a couple DBs for a bit more mids. On the master track I added a bit of compression to get the sound a bit louder. Anyway, here's the track

Lemme know what you think

Matt

Do you mind if I record some vocals over this track?

Back