Alanis Morissette Cover - One Hand In My Pocket - Mix Critique Please!

nickg

Lets.hit.record!
Here's a track by a local singer, Katie Bestie and guitar player, Jay Johnson. We recorded this live in the live room & vocal booth, with one take of BGV's.

Do you think there is too much verb on the vox?

Comments, critique, and snide remarks are welcome!

This is really nice. No, I don't think you have too much reverb on the vox. I think you've got it just right. With just vox and Guit, you want to fill out a little.

The guitar sounds wonderful. How did you track it??

Great SPL taimber!

Need to compress it( the sum ). Set the attack at 1-2 and the ratio at max. Then set the release to 30-50%. Now, play around with the threshold. Stick the limiter on 0dB-2dB

Roll the send of the reverb back 1db on the vocal channel/track....

Fantastic mic placement on the lead vocal!!!

Dominick Black

Thanks Chili! Much appreciated! As far as the Acoustic micing goes.. I went to the Nashville Recording Workshop this past summer, and took an acoustic micing seminar from Rich Adler. He went over a little bit about mic selection and mic placement. On this particular recording, I opted for a small diaphram NT5 at about the 12th fret on the neck, and a large diaphram Rhode NTV tube mic at the 7 o-clock position on the body of the guitar for some depth. I used an NTV on the vocals as well. All tracks were recorded through entry-level focusrite octe-pre platinum pre-amps, in a closet converted into a vocal booth, and a 8x12' cement room treated with moving blankets, and masking tape to stop the air vents from rattling :)

Last edited:
Great SPL taimber!

Need to compress it( the sum ). Set the attack at 1-2 and the ratio at max. Then set the release to 30-50%. Now, play around with the threshold. Stick the limiter on 0dB-2dB

Roll the send of the reverb back 1db on the vocal channel/track....

Fantastic mic placement on the lead vocal!!!

Dominick Black

I've got the master track going through a multi-band compressor and a limiter at -0.1dB. What are you hearing that needs to be compressed? I do have a side-chained "ducker" setup on the guitar tracks being fed from a send on the vocal track, to make room for the vocals... It's being attenuated around 1-3dB at 2:1. does that need to be adjusted maybe?

Thanks so much for the input!

Beautiful!
Jagged little Pill is a classic album.....
Are you sure that wasn't really Alannis singing...?:D
Great work, great performance!

Joey :):):):)

Beautiful!
Jagged little Pill is a classic album.....

Casue shes Canadian

MWAHAHAHAHA..

I wonder if star wars would have been more entertianing of Darth Vader was Canadian? his cloack was red and black checkered and followed each evil remark with 'Eh!'

'Your lack of Faith is Disturbing, ... Eh!'

Don't mind me...

This is great sounding little recording! Lovely guitar sound. The vocal is bordering on a soundalike cover (can be a good and bad thing), but is recorded very well and the lead/harmony mix was great. I love when they blend and sound almost like one voice. Very cool.

Back