Agony - Original hard rock...rough cut

Dang, that's good. I would maybe automate the guitars down a hair during the verses? Those harmonies are sweet, might give the mix more energy.

I think this may be what's bugging me about the drums. If it were me, I'd remove all the verb from the drum program, and send them to whatever verb you are using for the rest of the song. That would help them glue with the rest f the song I think, and help them to sound less fake.

Yes good idea, this is one thing I am gonna try next re-mix. Still working on getting a better snare sound along with tightening up vocals.

---------- Update ----------

Dang, that's good. I would maybe automate the guitars down a hair during the verses? Those harmonies are sweet, might give the mix more energy.

Thanks for the input! I could certainly bring down the verses a couple dBs and see if that helps. I am not a singer so having someone like my harmonies is awesome to hear.

Last edited:
OK spent a few hours today and really not not sure I got anywhere with it. I took some of your all's suggests and tried to make it work. Found some EQ plugs that shouldn't have been in place so it was like I was DBL EQ'ing some things which could have caused issues. Worked the bass to try and settle it down some. Let me know what you think.

Sounds better !!!
Once you get the lowend separated better, you'll here what the mids need. then work on the high frequencies, cymbals...
There's more than one way to treat the low end,, bit too much to write.
How are you addressing Kick and Bass. CHoose which one you want to reach the lowest frequency, the one the sounds best for the song to you, and let it go to about a 45Hz Highpass. and the other highpass between 70Hz and 80HZ. Makes room in the frequency down there.

Just suggesting.. I have no idea of your processing and your room.
Little short on time at the moment,,, Glad to try and help

Two things stood out to me. Firstly I though the snare sample was a bit wobbly as it sounds good at the start but then gets thin at some places, but on headphones I think the hats are interfering and overriding the snare here and there. Secondly the guitars are slightly ahead of the drums at times which gives it a dragging feel. Guitars bass and vox are all well balanced. Definitely an AIC vibe. Good track

Two things stood out to me. Firstly I though the snare sample was a bit wobbly as it sounds good at the start but then gets thin at some places, but on headphones I think the hats are interfering and overriding the snare here and there. Secondly the guitars are slightly ahead of the drums at times which gives it a dragging feel. Guitars bass and vox are all well balanced. Definitely an AIC vibe. Good track

Definitely has that AIC vibe. Clarity will bring out the issues more, I hear things I'd address as well. Just not sure the better suggestion without being in the mix... I'm still learning too, lol,,, actually this would be fun to mix.

Thanks again for the listen. Yes the snare has been a thorn in my side. I give it more body and it sounds misplaced...but I know at times it sounds really thin. I will check and see if the hats are for walking on the snare and interfering with it. Does make sense. I do need to spend some time on making sure guitars are more tight too. As I get to cleaning things up, more problems arise.

Definitely has that AIC vibe. Clarity will bring out the issues more, I hear things I'd address as well. Just not sure the better suggestion without being in the mix... I'm still learning too, lol,,, actually this would be fun to mix.
Funny you say that because as I listen to the latest “cleaned up mix” more problems are arising that need to be addressed. I think it is moving forward but I just run out of time to work on it as I am still working at the hospital which is being overrun. I do have the next few days off and hope to work on it along with another new one I am getting excited about. Thanks!

Funny you say that because as I listen to the latest “cleaned up mix” more problems are arising that need to be addressed. I think it is moving forward but I just run out of time to work on it as I am still working at the hospital which is being overrun. I do have the next few days off and hope to work on it along with another new one I am getting excited about. Thanks!

Awesome !!! That means your ears and your room or headphones are letting you hear the issues.
With that I have an idea !!! EUREKA !!! lol... I have time possibly during your days off. If you'd like we could do a more direct approach.
Instead of trying to search and post video links and asking what plugins you used or have, we could skype, using show Screen so I can see your session in your DAW.
There's a couple different ways we can do this. youtube and the phone even lol.
I could see your moves and settings and make suggestions using your available plugins. Depending on your DAW.

I'm in the US. Do you speak english and have decent internet bandwidth ? I likely have your plugins, other than stock, I use Studio One Pro, but as long as you know your daw, I can still help the same.
Actually if you use Studio One, I could open the session here, and send back changes using your available plugins.
Eh may not work, but thought I'd offer.

Stay safe, nortons and Kaspersky can't help with this, lol... My attempt at humor, is hopefully acceptable.

If it works, I'd be glad to help, and have fun working on it with you.

[MENTION=30111]rocker[/MENTION] I appreciate the offer! I think before we go down that road I need to go back in and do a lot of edits to it to get things synced up better like the vocals and gits. That will be time consuming on its own, then I can go back and try to do a better mix. This was literally a thrown together "one pass" recording and have not even tried for better tones or re-recording anything. Every change has been in the DAW so far and been done by ear without any reference material yet.

BTW, I am going to show my age here but I have been doing recording since the days when cakewalk did not have an audio option lol I just have a bad case of A.D.D. and find myself walking away from it for a while and not perfecting those things I should. I have been pushing myself a little harder lately trying to get a few good songs together. I really do appreciate the support and that Skype thing is a great idea. Let me get these edits done and I we can arrange that. Thanks again for the support!

@rocker I appreciate the offer! I think before we go down that road I need to go back in and do a lot of edits to it to get things synced up better like the vocals and gits. That will be time consuming on its own, then I can go back and try to do a better mix. This was literally a thrown together "one pass" recording and have not even tried for better tones or re-recording anything. Every change has been in the DAW so far and been done by ear without any reference material yet.

BTW, I am going to show my age here but I have been doing recording since the days when cakewalk did not have an audio option lol I just have a bad case of A.D.D. and find myself walking away from it for a while and not perfecting those things I should. I have been pushing myself a little harder lately trying to get a few good songs together. I really do appreciate the support and that Skype thing is a great idea. Let me get these edits done and I we can arrange that. Thanks again for the support!

Well awesome !!! This might work better than I anticipated knowing you are familiar :D
Sounds good, no hurry on the skype, I'll be here, I think lol,, sheesh.
Until then I'll be checking notices for any posts here :D

Have a good day, be safe.

interesting and seems familiar the darker , bass v1 sounds better on the earbuds, less harsh cymbals and hi freqs...but on the better headphones "darker"
while version 2....sounds clearer and more punch with some lowmid removed, but on ear buds more harsh and cymbals touching the spike zone.

my headphones and earbuds are pretty decent...and i hear this difference on many recordings, with the earbuds showing the worst case harsh freqs...mst be like the YamanaNS10 syndrome.

listened to remix B, wow! really good man, agree with some earlier post that has a Alice in Chains vibe, love the vocal sound....great guitar tone , nice and tight.....cool song , following you on soundcloud!

Back