Aggressive rock, big guitars, you know the drill

trogdor

Long time reader, first time writer...

Here are a couple tracks I am working on for a friend's band called The Moms.

They were done with sm57s, mk012 (overheads), mk319 on vocals, and a couple other dynamic mics through my ADA8000 into my MOTU 2408 into cubase sx.

Let me know what you think about the mixes please...it's still in progress.

58 views and no one has anything to say?

I feel like the mixes are a little muddy, and sometimes sound sort of like there is a blanket over the speaker...like there need to be more highs. Does any one else agree? Is this a matter of the mixing, or tracking?

On "Day For Change", the drums need something...compression, eq....I can't tell exactly what to do there. They're just kind hiding back there-that snare should jump out a little more. Overheads sound OK, maybe a little hot.

Guitar sounds good, maybe lacking a little "bite".

Bass needs to come up some-I can barely tell that there's one there.

Vocals are pretty good...nice effects.

trogdor, there's some good things going on with the music on all 3 songs. I just don't like the vox, on any of the songs. Maybe it's just personal taste, I don't know. The vox just seem dull. Just my opinion though.

thanks for the comments...

I agree about the drums and guitars, phil...I think I need to do a bit of eq'ing on those.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the bass, since I'm not mixing on real monitors (doh!) so maybe speakers bass is up too loud.

flash are you talking about the vocal style? Or do you mean the sound quality/mix of the vocals?

I like the music a lot! Really interesting and in the style that I tend to listen to a lot. I liked the vocals the sound urgent and meaningful. Like it's important that he's singing them.

The guitars don't sound bad but the never hit. It's never like "BAM! there's a hit." The bass definitely needs to come up. It sounds a bit thin even on the parts where you hear it but definitely needs to push the guitars. That might be what the guitars need to punch them up some is a good bottom end. Think Thursday when working on the bass as something like that would definietly carry this song.

The drums need more snare. It's like the cymbals are really prominent and sound good but it's so aggressive that you really need that crack to keep the song driving.

Even with all that. It sounds more than listenable as is. And with few tweaks it would really stand out.

Also... get soem monitors. I went cheap recently and got Alesis Monitor Ones and an ART amp. It's a far cry above the Roland MA-12c monitors that I was mixing on.

cool thanks for the feedback spank. this is the kind of stuff I listen to also. I know what you mean about thursday.

How much did you pick up that monitor setup for? money is kind of tight so I'll probly end up going for somethin cheap as well. time to do some ebayin'!

I bought it new. The monitors were $200 and the amp was $200. The monitors are really pretty reasonable especially for the price! There isn't much that equals out to $400 for a pair. I compared them to a lot more expensive monitors and while there are definite short comings... everything is MUCH easier to get better than it was. Especailly comparing before and after mixes mostly in the translation. The Rolands were ok and I'll defrinitely keep things around as they are like a microscope in the top end but definitely not and only monitor.

the moms

i liked what you did with your song "curtain call." that sounded pretty much studio quality. i couldn't get good quality out of listening to the moms because i had to listen through headphones at the library and only the right side was working. but the songs sounded cool. it seems like you know what you're doing when it comes to recording.

brian

Ill take a listen later on when im not on dialup but keep an eye on ebay. I picked up a set of Event 20/20s plus an alesis ra-100 power amp both in great shape for $300. That was almost 2 years ago and they are still going strong.

Back