After the Burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayc

retroreprobate
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5814810&q=hi
Modern miracles still happen.
My collaborator & I actually managed to work together in the same room to record some stuff.
Terry travelled a couple of hours south by train to spend the day with my mrs & I AND record some vocals etc.
The above is a VERY rough mix of After the Burning. We began this in about 1990.
Terry recorded the vocals through his very nice sennheiser into a Blue Tube pre (not the new one) & then into cakewalk.
2 vocal tracks to allow a bit of flow & over lap almost verse about. As well as some bvox.
I didn't have time to do a decent mix & there may be some vol diff between the vox tracks.
The drums are in mono with a guitar layered in as well, (old 4 track pingponging) I duplicated the drum track and did some EQing & panning to mock stereo but they need to be replaced I know.
The bass is as recorded originally and the semi acoustic guitar doubled with a little delay on one.
The wooshing effect is Yamaha FX 500's soft focus tweaked to give a 'cello style effect (again in mono & panned for extra effect)
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This could still work without a lot of retracking! Is it my ears, or is a lot of this panned up the middle?

Maybe bring up the volume on the drums a hair. On my system they are getting lost in there somewhere after the guitars kick in.

Nice song, and yeah, the vocals need a little bit more attention. Not bad, but they could be compressed a little to tame them.

I would pan the guitars hard left and right, and maybe tweak the volume of both of them a bit. At times it's hard to hear more than one guitar.

Very nice vibe going on with this tune. :)

Very interesting. Tis a good song, good ideas.

Recordingwise it needs redone.

The drums are in mono with a guitar layered in as well, (old 4 track pingponging)
Yeah, its creating a lot of tape noise. The volume is very low on this, and the tape noise is quite audible.

Songwise, it sounds like a Ray original:cool: Very quirky and fun, interesting lyrics.:)

I don't know why that last mix came out quite as badly as it did - it sounded better on the comp - I did find some driver issues that may have contributed.
Here's a better version that addresses some of the issues raised as well as being more representative of what was on tape & is on disk - the mix is slightly lopsided at present.
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5814810&q=hi
Please comment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back