After 1 month of sickness I'm back with something heavy

monkeymanx

I just recently recorded 2 new songs with my band Three After. The drums are still DFHS until I move into my house, then the drums that get recorded will be my Gretsch renown maples that I just got. Can't wait for that. I've been sick between strep throat(twice) and bronchitus so I havn't been able to sing on anything until this weekend.

I have 2 new tunes at our sound click page and on our myspace page. Take a listen and let me know what you think. Eventually everything will be recorded live, once I get all my stuff set up.

Three After Soundclick Page

Three After Myspace Page

This rocks! The Godsmack influence is there, but it's not a bad thing. The "stay strong" thing might be on the verge of being a little cheesy-but I guess in the context of the song it works. The guitars sound great and everything has great seperation-nice mix!

Thanks. The "Stay Strong" part is a throwback to the old hardcore days, gang chants and such. I just think they are simple and fun. Believe it or not, I'm not a big Godsmack guy. But I am an Alice in Chains fan, which I guess is where Godsmacks influence comes from since they seem to sound vocally somewhat like them.

This is good song. I like.

Dude you have a great voice. I think you have too many effects on it though. You dont need it. just go with some compression, and a little reverb/delay to mix it in better with the band.

Listen to the 1:50 mark how the vocal level is so far above the band amplitude wise and sound quality wise, then after the vocal line ends there is a little intsrumental part. The band sounds so much weaker than the vocals. Maybe alot more compression on the vocals to drop into the mix better.

You may either need a better mic that will record your voice more naturally or lay off the EQ and effects.

basically the vocal sounds unnatural with all the effects on them, and they sound way to different from the band. If you use effects I think most of the time they should be used to help your mix balance, not so you can actually hear the effect so obviously.

you have a very great voice and a great song, it just isnt balanced very well with the rest of the band.

Sounds like you have a very powerful voice, maybe moving back a bit further from the mic when you sing would help give you less presence with out using any EQ.

Just some random thoughts.. You got me headbanging right from the start.

I think one thing is that I have my vocal tracks up about 1db too loud or so.

I actually just use one of the pre amp models in the Toneport with a bit of EQ, not much. Some compression and a tad of reverb. The "effect" you are hearing is me doing a 2nd vocal track, natural doubling.

The current mic I have for my vocals is actually pretty damn good, I'm using a AT4040... Which is turning out much better than my Shure Beta87c which I may end up selling.

I may try moving a couple more inches away from the mic though, that may help out. I think the human voice is naturally something that pushes the higher frequencies, unfortunatly nothing else does other than the cymbals. I probably just need to fix the vocal level and cut a bit more lows on the bass and guitar to clear up everything.

Thanks for the voice compliments.

Listened to "Happy Pills"...Guitar sounds friggin' huge!! I dig it!Defiently has a Godsmack vibe, although the lead vox also reminds me of Layne Stanley AIC...
dig the "stay strong" thing...definetly a song to get ya pumped.Rocks!!!!!

Damn, this is beastly! Love that crunch, man. The first part of the vox was a bit too upfront and the doubling was weird, but then at about :25 is sat right in there. It should all sound like that...

No nits at all instrumentally. Can't wait to hear the Gretsches though!
Please tell me about the guitar signal chain...

Yea, the doubling wasn't tight enough on Happy Pill during the soft part of the verse. I gots to redo it.

My chain is just guitar into toneport UX2 and then into EQ... I do 4 layed tracks though.

It's gonna be awsome when I move in and have my Gretsch Renowns...

monkeymanx said:
I think one thing is that I have my vocal tracks up about 1db too loud or so.

I actually just use one of the pre amp models in the Toneport with a bit of EQ, not much. Some compression and a tad of reverb. The "effect" you are hearing is me doing a 2nd vocal track, natural doubling.

The current mic I have for my vocals is actually pretty damn good, I'm using a AT4040... Which is turning out much better than my Shure Beta87c which I may end up selling.

I may try moving a couple more inches away from the mic though, that may help out. I think the human voice is naturally something that pushes the higher frequencies, unfortunatly nothing else does other than the cymbals. I probably just need to fix the vocal level and cut a bit more lows on the bass and guitar to clear up everything.

Thanks for the voice compliments.

Maybe sing off to the side of the mic as well or maybe you can take your original vocal tracks and mess with it a bit, just so it fits in better with the rest of the band.

Back