Advises on problematic 1st mix

wphantom

Hi, I'm playing double bass & guitar in a frech band. We are currently preparing our first CD but we encountered problems at the mixing stage.

The recordings of each tracks were made in a pro studio and we have plenty good-sounding individual tracks (often several mics for each instruments so we can sometimes choose between them).

Here is the 1st mix of one of the tune (no premastering) :

Obviously there are problems sound balance-wise but we have difficulties to identify clearly the sources of the problems and how treat them. Maybe you can help us !

What are for you the problems ? What are the causes of the problems and how will you treat them ?

More général opinions on the music would also be helpfull.

Thanks in advance for any help !!!

Sylvain aka wphantom

What kind of problems do you think you're having? It sounded pretty good to me. Love the drumming. The vocals are a little dry and out front, but that's an easy fix.

Hi Greg_L, thanks for your comment.

We (the band) are thinking that the mix is a little muddy with some "fussyness" in what I'd wall the low mids (200-500 Hz).

Didn't you had this impressions ? It seems quite Ok (at least acceptable) on good quality system but as soon as you listen to more "standard" hi-fi systems, the result is really muddy.

Others has advises ?

I just put it in my DAW and you're right. I pulled a little eq out in that range and it tightened up. It didn't take much though.

Hey, that sounds great, maybe a different eq on the drums, but the rest sounds very good, i have no complains... The voice is great...

Good Job

Thanks Greg_L and zero00 for your comments,

I'm going to work on it tomorrow especially on the drums in that critical frequency region.

As for the vocals, the main voice, sound quite unnatural for me compared to the real voice of our singer. EQiing around 200-500Hz making really better. We are going to revise our EQing on all these tracks.

Thanks for the advices. Other comments are welcome, it is the first mix of a 15 tracks CD...

For those interested, some old recordings (recorded at home in "live" conditions) are audible on http://www.myspace.com/sqnt (sorry for the page in french).

Sylvain

I thought this sounded great!
Nice mix and classy stuff, beautifully performed. Well done!

Joey :):):):)

Back