Advice on mixing instrumental prog rock/metal

subjectruin

I'm wrapping up the long process of writing and recording an album and I'm in the final mixing stages and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. My songs have tons of layered guitars and it's a big challenge to juggle and make them all fit within the mix.

At this point, I feel like I'm too close to the music and all the tweaks I'm making are subtle enough to where I don't know if I'm helping or hurting the mix. Any advice or insight form fresh ears will be hugely appreciated!

Attachments

• Critique.mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 26
I'm wrapping up the long process of writing and recording an album and I'm in the final mixing stages and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. My songs have tons of layered guitars and it's a big challenge to juggle and make them all fit within the mix.

At this point, I feel like I'm too close to the music and all the tweaks I'm making are subtle enough to where I don't know if I'm helping or hurting the mix. Any advice or insight form fresh ears will be hugely appreciated!

Hi.

This was sooo cool man. You sure knows you guitar playing. As i dont trust my ears, take that it to consideration regarding my mix tip. It sounded like the drums are a bit buried in the mix here and there.Especially the sharp. Off course its easy that the drums get annoying if to loud, but i think it could benefit with some tweaking.
But again, you music/playing is on another level, so I could be totally wrong.

Cudos for the song

-einar-
NORWAY

Thanks for checking it out, glad you liked it. Good point about the drums, I need to probably go back in and adjust the levels. I get such tunnel vision with the guitars that I sometimes neglect the drums!

Great stuff. I also agree with seeker. Just nudge the drums up a tiny bit, especially during the harder/louder parts.

Great stuff. I also agree with seeker. Just nudge the drums up a tiny bit, especially during the harder/louder parts.

Hey thanks man - here's a new version of the song where I tried making the drums more prominent and just worked on overall clarity.

Attachments

• Critique 2.mp3
    8.9 MB · Views: 18
I must say, some great playing here man. :)

The drums up in volume now are presenting some issues for me. That snare has no 'body'. I would at least layer it with another sample. Hell, I may be opinionated here but the kick and tom sounds also sound weak compared to the guitar playing presented.

Great stuff man. I would just love to hear the drums sound more real. Everything else will be easier to fit in the mix if the drums are not so 'sterile'. Or whatever that means...

What sucks about this is some really like that kind of drum sound. Until they find a drummer who can do it and sound better. Not even placing myself anywhere near there, just speaking of the sound. :)

I think that the lead lines during the first minute could have been louder.

The drums sound really fake. The kick especially at times.
The snare is weak.

There are some very cool moments in the song!

edit: ...aaaand I'm pretty sure that that was a Metallica tribute at the end? ;)

Fair enough - drums were the toughest part of this project for me and I spent a lot of time waffling back and forth on drum sounds. The drums I've got in there now are a blend of three different kits. I'm using Superior Drummer and two Native Instruments kits. Any tips on how I can improve them?

Also, Schwarzenyaeger - not a conscious Metallica tribute but I am a big Metallica fan from way back, which song does it remind you of?

Back