Advice on mixes

Gonchar

Ok, before I even ask everyone to take a listen to my stuff I want you to know it is "adult" in nature. So if you're offended by sexual themes then please pass on listening.

With that said I'd appreciate some thoughts on my mixes. Our page on MP3.com is:
www.mp3.com/dingogonchar

The thing I'm finding is that the songs sound totally different depending on what I listen to them on. On smaller speakers (my PC, boom box) the mixes sound nice. On bigger systems (my home theatre, my car) they take on a whole new sound. Vocals especially begin to seem buried too far. I figure this is a good place to get people hearing it on many different setups. Any feedback is great.

For the record, the closest I've come to a mix that sounds good on all my systems is the first song on the page (the title is "graphic" so we'll just go by "the first song").

Anyway, obviously we're not out to change the world or make some great statement, we're just having silly fun with our music. I'm just hoping to get a handle on doing better mixes for us. :)

Thanks everyone,
Gonchar

Man- you've got a lot of shit put up for free. Thanks for your generosity.
The mixes sounded OK to me. I'm not sure what you feel is lacking. It's got good thump.
The vocals sound like they were done on a cheapo mic, but maybe that's the sound you were after.
Just a comment on the recurring theme.
Sounds like a bad case of Trench Mouth... :)
But then who am I to talk about funky themes?

Listened to uh, the first one, and then Dingo Style, and then the one with the Benedictine Midgets....best mix by far was the first one, it actually sounded like stereo...I played on my pc speakers first then cranked 'em on my stereo....seemed like the vocals were all left with just a bit on the right, in my op they need to be middle...and then pan the percussion both ways...but that's just my op so take it for what it's worth...however, by saying the first one had the best mix, I did not mean the other mixes were sorry, just need some tweaking to my ears....your lyrics are very offensive and I liked 'em, but I'm a perv, so go figure....looks like you've made some bucks too.....makes me feel really old because we had to make up lyrics to Louie Louie dammit.......gibs

Thanks guys.

Wasn't worried about the old stuff too much. I've come a long way in the last 16 - 18 months since we recorded those tunes in far less than perfect conditions.

Indeed those old tunes are in mono. Indeed I use a cheapo mic. In fact the whole setup we use is one cheapo mic, cakewalk 9, soundforge 4, and an SB live card. All running on my 166 with 80MB of RAM. So technically we're lucky it makes anything even remotely close to music. :)

Again, we're obviously not looking to chance the world or get the "feelgood song of the year" award. Just aiming tunes at the social misfit in all of us. I still gave it away free before MP3.com started the payback program. I do it for fun (and I'm one of the few who can honestly say that)...the money is a nice side effect.

Thanks for some insight. Hoping to keep improving the sound...for fun, of course :)

Gonchar

Frank Zappa would be proud of you for your lyrical content.
It's like you took Dynamo-hum to the next level.

[This message has been edited by Buck62 (edited 05-30-2000).]

Hehe, thanks Buck.

I've had alot of people tell me of the Zappa similarites. Oddly enough, I'm almost completely unfamiliar with his tunes...sad, huh. Only recently have I begun digging up some of his stuff.

It's a fine line between demented genius and flat out stupidity...I like to think I walk it well.

Gonch

Back