Advice on the mix?

McParadigm

So my band sort of stumbled into this track. Wrote and cut it in a day. It's sort of...I guess like if the band Spoon played gypsy music. Completely unlike anything we usually do, but it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, it's the first finished track since I got the new equipment, and I'm discovering that I'm fairly lost about EQing now that I'm not using the lowest form of home recording crap.

I would really appreciate if anybody has any thoughts about the EQ on the acoustic guitar or the vocals, or I guess any advice that is well-intentioned.

It's the first track on the page, Ballad of the Kiss Cover Bands.

I should note that I have already tried EQing it, and that's the mix you'll hear. I'm also not sure on the compression on the acoustic guitar.

Not bad at all. The bass guitar needs a lift and the kick could use a little automatiion so it keeps up in the fuller sections.
In the quieter vocal parts (were they drop down) the vox could use a little brightening, some around 5k and 15k. during those sections the vox get a bit muffled.

Cool stuff. And it's sounding good too. Just needs a little more tweeking.

F.S.

hey there,
i think the guitar is overpowering the rest of the mix. the bottomend needs a lift as FS mentioned, and id follow his eq advice. Cool song though!

JasonBird

Back