Advice/Critique welcome. take a listen (piano-driven)

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
Caution: Atheists, step no further

Ok.. now.. here ya go.

It's just the beginning of the song FYI.

It's the first original song of mine that I think I may actually finish! I think it's halfway decent. And another thing.. I didn't really know how to play piano til about a week and a half ago. I could do some simple stuff.. but I think I'm actually catching on to how to play.

Austinm08 - trying to catch up on my listening so here goes......

- The mix sounds great, the piano, guitar and vocals are all nicely set, and each is clean and clear. I like the bass you have on this (mix and instruments) because it gives it a fat sound. The panning separates the instruments nicely. Drums have a nice kick and snare sound to them.

Since this is only the beginning, I'm curious where you will take this next....
As you are singing in a lower range of your voice, I'm envisioning kicking it up a notch into a higher range (same key) for dramatic effect. Just a thought....

Will we hear the rest of this song sometime?

:) :D :) :D

ido1957 said:
Austinm08 - trying to catch up on my listening so here goes......

- The mix sounds great, the piano, guitar and vocals are all nicely set, and each is clean and clear. I like the bass you have on this (mix and instruments) because it gives it a fat sound. The panning separates the instruments nicely. Drums have a nice kick and snare sound to them.

Since this is only the beginning, I'm curious where you will take this next....
As you are singing in a lower range of your voice, I'm envisioning kicking it up a notch into a higher range (same key) for dramatic effect. Just a thought....

Will we hear the rest of this song sometime?

:) :D :) :D
Thank you so much. I'm very, very sad and sort of ashamed to say this, but the piano, bass, and drums all came from this old, old keyboard of my brothers'.. I mean this things probably close to 10 years old.. maybe in the 8-10 range. Is that something to be ashamed of?

I just feel bad that I'm getting these compliments when I didn't actually record real instruments for them.. they sound so nice because they're from this keyboard. But at this point in time (I'm 17), I don't exactly have the funds to buy lots of nice equipment to get high quality recordings. So, it'll have to do!

Yes, my plan for the chorus is to kick up the pitch of the vocals.. getting up into the higher levels of my range. You've got it right so far.

The thing is, I would've had this thing done a few days ago I'd say.. but I'm a junior in high school.. involved with basketball, and with that and everything else I do, I have very little time to work on this.. which is what I love to do. I had time to do that, as it was on some days that school was cancelled due to a winter storm.

Ah, now I've gone totally off subject. The fact is, you WILL hear the rest of this.. once I have time to work on it!

Your compliments mean a lot to me and that's the best I've ever received for anything, I believe. Thank you much.

-Austin

Last edited:
Back